Halfords Car Polisher 240v

Associate
Most DAs seem pretty fool proof, I bought one of these:

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/p...3-silverstorm-random-orbital-sander-240v.html

I had never used any kind of polisher before and have so far done some light correction on 2 cars without issue, you really would have use some pretty abrasive polish and pad combos and try hard in order to damage the paint with these IMO. You can always find someone to sell it on to if you don't get on with it too.

Permabanned
You should gone for a silverline rotary, better speed control and slightly easier to handle, plus you have the uumph for some decent correction.But you cant complain for the money.

SRP works well with the da/rotary type machines as it has a light level of cut, its not any easier with a machine, you can just get a better finish imo.

Soldato
I've got a random orbit sander in my garage, it's a 'PRO' branded one (model CLMTHROS) (preceded the MAC brand for B&Q a couple of years ago i believe, though still the same machines.

It's a 250w variable speed one (1200 - 1900 ? per minute (according to the instruction manual.

Would this be similar to the MAC one that people are talking about here, and if so, would it just be a matter of buying pads and polish for it?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14590301 said:
looks good, are these mac ones idiot proof?

Fox I have one, I bought it 2 weeks ago-ish. I haven't had time to use it on my car yet, but I have plugged it in and it is idiot proof. It's simple, solid and has a variable speed dial on it. I've looked online and there are loads of polishing accessories to go with it.
Not bad for £20. :)

Soldato
I'm looking at menzerna polishing pads but before i buy, can anyone tell me, are they velcro backed or do i need to buy the backing plate for them?

Reason i ask is i have a random orbit sander which is the same as the MAC one from B&Q and would be trying them with that.

Thanks

Associate
menzerna are velcro backed but be carefull use a slow speed as menzerna are one of the harder type pads and i dont know what sander you have but some really not suitable for the job due to the speed of them i would be useing finishing pad with a finishing polish to start and practice on a scrap pannel if you can

Soldato
menzerna are velcro backed but be carefull use a slow speed as menzerna are one of the harder type pads and i dont know what sander you have but some really not suitable for the job due to the speed of them i would be useing finishing pad with a finishing polish to start and practice on a scrap pannel if you can

i was looking at these ones, which are a light cut, just so i can get used to it, i may go a step further after though. My orbiter starts at 1200rpm or vibrations per minute or whatever the measurement is lol, which seems fine. Will i need special polish or will either my SRP or Megs do the job, i'm looking after the pennies atm and don't feel flush enough to splash out on some collinite yet.

Soldato
I plumbed straight for a rotary. To be fair, after using it once, you have to be retarded to do any damage to the paint.

I got a Kestrel SIM 180 with 3M pads and backing plates (which are just the doggs danglies) and some Menz. I cut with the menz finish with lime prime and wax with purple haze now. Car looks, well, amazing.

Soldato
My bonnet is really dull, even after the Megs 3 step treatment, SRP and Zymol (smells gorgeous that), so it definitely needs machine treatment, however, i'm getting one side of my car completely respreayed next week - which will remove the key mark from rear passenger door, rear quarter and rear bumper, and also front wing where someone bumped me whilst parking), so i can't really touch that side for a while until it completely dries, but no doubt when it is dry it'll need a good polish too.

Caporegime
I think I'll try the Silverline 125563 Silverstorm Random Orbital Sander with menzerna pads myself.

Edit: Do I need to buy a backing plate as well; or does this come with one?

Back
Top Bottom