Women's Woe's

Associate
My daughter has a friend, whose mother has (foolishly) signed a contract with Orange, for a phone plus internet.

This contract is three months old, and her internet dongle is broken.

She went back to Orange and asked for a new dongle, they said "proof of purchase please" she said "i don't have it".

They said £30 please.

Etc.

They phoned me, and i told them to get Orange to check their computers, to establish a contract start date, so they can then see that their dongle is still under warranty, and then replace it.

Which they will do tomorrow.

Is my advice good enough or have i missed out somthing.

Also she pays more for her phone and internet than i do for my sky/phone/internet p/month, her internet is not unlimited which she did not realise when she was sold it.

All advice would be welcome because this family do not have a lot of money and should never have signed the contract in the first place.
As they told me today they have sky...i said why not have sky broadband for free then.

They just didn't know, so they took the first option for their 12 year old girls benefit.

The father has done a runner.

Caporegime
Why the hell do people with no money think it's a good idea to spend £(x) per month on half a bazillion cable channels that they'll never use? :confused:

My wife and I don't bother with pay TV of any kind because we simply can't justify the expense. How do people convince themselves that it's worth the money, when they have precious little spare in the first place??

Associate
OP
Why the hell do people with no money think it's a good idea to spend £(x) per month on half a bazillion cable channels that they'll never use? :confused:

My wife and I don't bother with pay TV of any kind because we simply can't justify the expense. How do people convince themselves that it's worth the money, when they have precious little spare in the first place??

Her mother regrets what she has done now. She just wanted internet for her daughter at school.

She just didn't know what her choices were because she just didn't know what she was buying.

She is not tech savvy

Soldato
Her mother regrets what she has done now. She just wanted internet for her daughter at school.

She just didn't know what her choices were because she just didn't know what she was buying.

She is not tech savvy

Well good for you on trying to help - but why is it people that aren't tech savvy always end up in this situation?

Why not ask? I may be alright with PCs, but cars I know jack all about so I ask a friend that does, or i'd buy a few books/magazines on the subject and swot up.

Rich

Associate
OP
Sky obviously saw her coming.

"Yes madam, you'll be wanting the stupidly expensive 'No-Valu' package, I think. Here, let me put it on your credit card right away..."

That is two posts out of two where either you are drunk or i am.

I have sky, she has orange....Sky is the cheaper option.

So Orange saw her coming surely.

Associate
OP
Well good for you on trying to help - but why is it people that aren't tech savvy always end up in this situation?

Why not ask? I may be alright with PCs, but cars I know jack all about so I ask a friend that does, or i'd buy a few books/magazines on the subject and swot up.

Rich

It's a 40+ woman, she knows nowt about tech but thinks if it costs a lot it must be the best.
So she buys it to help her daughters education.

Ask? she don't even know what to ask.

Caporegime
That is two posts out of two where either you are drunk or i am.

I have sky, she has orange....Sky is the cheaper option.

So Orange saw her coming surely.

Well yes, Orange saw her coming. But you said...

As they told me today they have sky...

If she doesn't have much money, she shouldn't be wasting it on Sky. And if she insists on chucking her money at them, they could at least have had the decency to mention that broadband was an option, thereby saving her the current hassle with Orange.

Also:

So she buys it to help her daughters education.

She buys internet access to help her daughter's education? :eek: :confused: Good grief! IMHO if you want to help your child's education, you buy books. Net access can wait.

Associate
OP
Well yes, Orange saw her coming. But you said...

If she doesn't have much money, she shouldn't be wasting it on Sky. And if she insists on chucking her money at them, they could at least have had the decency to mention that broadband was an option, thereby saving her the current hassle with Orange.

Also:

She buys internet access to help her daughter's education? :eek: :confused: Good grief! IMHO if you want to help your child's education, you buy books. Net access can wait.

Her choice to not use sky, is a little more complicated than you make it out to be.
she don't even have a landline which confuses me because sky require you to have one.
And no it is nothing to do with an unpaid bill.

When it comes down to it i try to give advice and not embarase them

Permabanned

Mine's is the equivalent of just under £2.50 a week. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom