***HTC Magic Thread***

Associate
What worries me the most is that the magic in this country is appaulingly underpowered and all HTC android devices use a measly 500mhz CPU. The problem being that when the new phones come out with 600Mhz + CPU's, devs will be making apps for the market which don't run well on the Magic or any of the first gen android phones. This is where the incompatibilities will lie, not in the OS's.

This is unfortunate but also inevitable, it's even true for the iPhone, they can't support the original models forever and will have to be left behind at some point.

I'm hoping Google evolves the Market so that you can filter out apps by requirements/android version etc so the issue doesn't stare you in the face too often. I remember when Cupcake came out and the only real way to know if an app was cupcake ready was when the developer would add "CUPCAKE READY!" in the description, which was less than ideal.

Associate
Yep still is as i only got it in May just after it was released...but cant be arsed with the warranty ie send it off etc then having to wait for it to come back.

Actually ill probably give them a ring later on and see what they say about it.

Are you crazy? that's very minimal effort to get a working handset. At least you can sell it as working then. I would agree with you but you have the blackberry to keep you going.

Associate
Can anyone tell me if this video to root will work with HTC Magic from Vodaphone?

That will not work with your phone.

Use "method 1" on this page http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting

It's easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Also, is it just that you want to apply a different rom? if so, then you do not need root to try hero roms etc. Let me know and i'll give you the links you need for that process (which wont even void your warranty).

Last edited:
Associate
Phone has arrived today and is on charge as I type this.

What's the recommendation on the length of time on the first charge? Manual says 3 hours, but I've seen other sources suggest leaving it overnight?

I just gave it the 3hrs but in all honesty i don't think it matters a hoot with this kind of battery. Besides, it's partially charged when you get it so 3hrs is a decent overcharge anyway. Hope you enjoy your magic and let us know if there's anyhting else we can help you with.

Welcome.

Associate
Left it charging for three hours and had a play with it, before putting it on charge again overnight.

First impressions are that it's absolutely brilliant! Downloaded a few apps and fiddled about with Google Maps and the browser, can't fault it.

Bye bye rubbish K850i!

HA! I came from the K850i also. Possibly the worst phone ever made, It's a relief isnt it!

Cant believe the fools at envirofone gave me 40 squid for it!

Soldato
Lol, ex-K850i user here too. Gonna Envirophone that beast this week :D

It's not a bad phone but the buttons are poorly designed and I hated all the Vodafone branding.

Associate
Easy chaps, no need for better keyboard or the hassle of sticking a rom on. Just download this Zip file http://www.droiddeveloper.com/hrbuilds/htc_ime.zip and copy the HTC_IME.apk (ignore the .so file) onto the root of your SD card. Make sure you have ASTRO file manager installed and simply install the copied apk.

Then you can go to the Locale and text menu in settings and enable touch input to enable the new keyboard (this is completely reversable - you can turn it off or uninstall it to re-enable the original keyboard).

There are various settings and keyboard types to choose from (including T9 big key S60 style).

This apk is taken straight from the sense UI on the HTC hero and is a **** sight better than the original.

Enjoy!

when i try to launch this in astro it asks to 'add a word'?

Soldato
Just wondering if there's an app that allows me to replicate important dates year after year? Say I want to put my Mum and brother's birthdays into my Magic, when I get one, so that I remember to get them cards and stuff beforehand, is there a way to tell the Magic, or any Android phone for that matter, to replicate each important date every year? Or to remind/alert me of the date every year?

Associate
Need more info mate, that's not a message i would expect.

well i click on it and i get 2 tabs, summary and details. theres 2 buttons under that, uninstall and launch. when i click on launch it comes up with 'insert word' and a field to type a word.

maybe its already installed, it lists the details on the same page, label is touch input however its not an option when selecting keyboard in settings.

unrealted but is there an app that will integrate with gmail tasks?

Associate
Just wondering if there's an app that allows me to replicate important dates year after year? Say I want to put my Mum and brother's birthdays into my Magic, when I get one, so that I remember to get them cards and stuff beforehand, is there a way to tell the Magic, or any Android phone for that matter, to replicate each important date every year? Or to remind/alert me of the date every year?

It syncs with Google Calendar automatically so yes.

Back
Top Bottom