Stopping cramp

Associate
Bit of advice needed really, started swimming again a couple of weeks ago and no matter what i seem to do I'm constantly getting cramp in my calfs when sprinting.

I do the usual preventative steps, plety of water, thorough stretching but top no avail. I used to swim to quite a high standard but haven't swam for any decent length of time in around four years.

If I take my time and just do lengths at a slower pace it's all good, never been an issue in football either. Is it just one of those things I'll have to live with, or is there something I can do to stop it?

Soldato
You'll have to work on flexibliity again, lots of calf stretches etc. Cramp is basically condition, get the condition back and you'll loose the cramps.

About.com has the following to say

What Causes Muscle Cramps
  • The exact cause of muscle cramps is still unknown, but the theories most commonly cited include:
  • Altered neuromuscular control
  • Dehydration
  • Electrolyte depletion
  • Poor conditioning
  • Muscle fatigue
  • Doing a new activity

and suggests the following

Treating Muscle Cramps

Cramps usually go away on their own without treatment, but these tips appears to help speed the healing process:
  • Stop the activity that caused the cramp.
  • Gently stretch and massage the cramping muscle.
  • Hold the joint in a stretched position until the cramp stops.

Preventing Muscle Cramps

Until we learn the exact cause of muscle cramps, it will be difficult to say with any confidence how to prevent them. However, these tips are most recommended by experts and athletes alike:
  • Improve fitness and avoid muscle fatigue
  • Stretch regularly after exercise
  • Warm up before exercise
  • Stretch the calf muscle: In a standing lunge with both feet pointed forward, straighten the rear leg.
  • Stretch the hamstring muscle: Sit with one leg folded in and the other straight out, foot upright and toes and ankle relaxed. Lean forward slightly, touch foot of straightened leg. (Repeat with opposite leg.)
  • Stretch the quadriceps muscle: While standing, hold top of foot with opposite hand and gently pull heel toward buttocks. (Repeat with opposite leg.)
Most muscle cramps are not serious. If your muscle cramps are severe, frequent, constant or of concern, see your doctor.

I used to get frequent calf cramps when I took up serious swimming practice, now I get them occassionally, after an intense kick session. I'm just fitter and more used to swimming with no real change to other variables.

Man of Honour
If you decide to go down the elecrolyte drink route then www.myprotein.co.uk do an electrolyte powder which should save you a fortune, but then again how long are you swimming for? If you can still get crap right at the begining of your session then it doesnt sound like they will help

Soldato
I was talking to a friend about cramp and he suggested drinking tonic water due to the quinine in it being good for cramp.

Before I go out and purchase some, could anyone confirm or deny this rumour?

Associate
OP
Well I just drink squash with added salt and sugar when swimming. Is a lucozade really going to be that much better. Its only really swimming I get this problem, running is no big deal and the muscles are well conditioned.

Think it'll be a case of another 10 mins more thorough stretching and plenty of water in the day.

I'm swimming for around 2-2.5 hours (well, in the pool that long probably half hour of it is spent resting, drinking, etc), the cramp seems to kick in after the first hour or so after my warm ups.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom