Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Soldato
I must say, deciding what to get as new bike to compliment my Vagrant has got to be one of the hardest things I've had to decide in a long time. I've got it down to a choice of three (or two, depending on how you look at it)

Giant Trance X3, On-one Inbred SS rigid (26er), or the same as a 29er.

Almost completely different ends of the spectrum, but I know I'll have a blast on whichever I pick and I'm leaning towards the 29er at the moment. Anyone think this would be a really bad choice?

Soldato
I must say, deciding what to get as new bike to compliment my Vagrant has got to be one of the hardest things I've had to decide in a long time. I've got it down to a choice of three (or two, depending on how you look at it)

Giant Trance X3, On-one Inbred SS rigid (26er), or the same as a 29er.

Almost completely different ends of the spectrum, but I know I'll have a blast on whichever I pick and I'm leaning towards the 29er at the moment. Anyone think this would be a really bad choice?
I've 2 29er's, a FS and a HT SS, love riding them both. If you go for the SS definitely get the 29er, rather than the 26er.

Soldato
Heh, maybe? Basically the commute is the only time I get to do much in the way of exercise, as well as the weekend ride. A 166 isnt too bad for me. I really need to start using the 305 properly as per training.

Has anyone got any good resources on using a garmin product properly for training, or just how to go about training in general?

Soldato
Are you on a road bike? What are you wanting to achieve? Just get faster? I use my 605 for interval training in workouts, unsure if the 305 has that though?

**edit** Just noticed your connect file, I see MTB, unsure what to do apart from just ride?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, still waiting for the payments to finish (cycle to work scheme), before I can get a road bike, unless I decide to build one.

I want to get faster on the 5 mile commute which is basically just a tt, so I guess thats my core that I need to improve. Maybe just using virtual partner to race against will help?

Associate
Heh, maybe? Basically the commute is the only time I get to do much in the way of exercise, as well as the weekend ride. A 166 isnt too bad for me. I really need to start using the 305 properly as per training.

Has anyone got any good resources on using a garmin product properly for training, or just how to go about training in general?

Just been reading this months cycling plus. It talks a little bit about training zones.

The magazines recommends training at 70% with easy aerobic riding so your heart becomes more efficent at pumping oxygen to your muscles. Interval work at 100% can be done to increase lactate tolerance.

Man of Honour
Those of you with a Talas fork please help! I can only screw my fox shock pump onto the fork when it is set at 100mm is this correct? at 140mm the schrader valve is to low to get the pump screwed on.

Associate
New bits on the bike today. Uber thanks to my mate Doll who kindly gave up his Sunday afternoon to show me how the bits go on heh! :)

No probs mate!

Here's a pic of my new beast!

OCUK2.jpg

Specialized Stumpjumper Elite with a couple of upgrades - Thomson Elite seatpost, FSA K Force carbon handlebars, Aztec wavey F (203mm) + R (180mm) discs and a KMC SL gold chain.

And a newer pic of my Merlin!

OCUK1.jpg

Malt Special Ed. with Reba SL's, SRAM X9, Juicy 7's with 180mm Hope floating discs, Race Face ride crank, KMC SL gold chain, Truvativ Team carbon handlebars and stem, Mavic XC717's on XT hubs with Panaracer Fire XC kevlar tyres, WTB Rocket saddle, SKF bb, DMR V8's and a Thomson seatpost. :)

Soldato
Ichabold - been waiting to see you on MSN.
Ive gotta be a dork and bail out on you - I had the opportunity to grab an absolute bargain for fantastic brakes (Formula Oro K18), so will be putting those on my DH bike and the Avid Elixr's are going on the Mbuzi, really sorry about that man :(

The spec so far on the bike isn't great as it's more of a "get all the parts as cheaply as I possibly can and slap it together as soon as I possibly can" so pretty much no thought has gone into weight and looks for that matter.

Spec list so far (almost there)

Frame: Morewood Mbuzi
Fork: Fox Van 36
Brakes: Avid Elixr
Shifter: 2009 XTR shifter
Mech: 2009 XT mech
Chainset: Saints cranks and BB (the Saint version just before the new ones)
Stem: Raceface Diabulous
Handlebar: Spank lounge
Chaindevice: e.thirteen STS
Wheelset: Mavic 721 on Hope bulbs front, Mavic 321 on hope bulbs rear
Seatpost: Thomson Elite (might actually swap this and my DH bike's seatpost, which is a FSA gravity)
Grips: Lizardskin Peaty​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom