Is doing a clean install still worth it for W7?

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Just wondering whether it's still worth doing a clean install rather than an upgrade for W7? I have so many programs installed and the like... I'd sort of rather do the upgrade but if it's still going to cause me a big performance hit like it normally does I'll wade through reinstalling everything...

So yeah, clean install or upgrade?

Cheers.

Soldato
Do the upgrade and then if it starts falling over then do a clean. It won't be a performance hit as such, you just increase your chances of quirky things arising with an upgrade.

Associate
I would go for the fresh install... Nothing like a new start!

Just make sure you have all your driver disks ready, and apps on disks/usb/hdd and off you go :D

Man of Honour
I'm actually tempted to fresh install here too, get rid of E since it's no more and install RTM Pro...although I think I could repair install over E with RTM just fine :O

ALTHOUGH

I think the Pro RTM key will still work on E....maybe ¬_¬

Soldato
Don't think I've ever done an upgrade install that I've been happy with. I've always ended up giving in and doing a clean install for various reasons. Still tempted to upgrade my Vista machine to 7 though. Hoping it might work better than upgrading from XP to Vista, as Vista and 7 are pretty similar.

Soldato
A change of OS is always a good excuse to clean out the system of any random bits of software etc that have accumulated over time. Fresh install all the way.

Associate
As others have said, format and clean install is always the best option. After having formatted so many times, I have just partitioned my HDD and save all my files on D:\ while I keep Windows and apps on C:\. Come format time, I only have to backup Firefox using Mozbackup, and I can format away!

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I agree that a clean install is best, however, I am also considering an upgrade install because time is becoming a scarce commodity these days!

However, I have Vista Ultimate and have bought Win 7 Pro... I don' believe that I can do an upgrade... unless... is there a way to downgrade my Vista install to Business?

Back
Top Bottom