James Cameron's 'Avatar' - The next gen of cinema

Soldato
Eh? Are you a robot? How does that work?
We use binocular and monocular cues for depth perception (that is, 3D). However, almost all the 3D films use stereoscopic systems, whereby different information is fed to the left and right eye. Simplest example is those red blue glasses. I have such poor vision in my left eye (can't read for instance with any magnifier), in day-to-day use my brain virtually ignores my left eye. If I force it to use it, I will have 1/2 the 3D image so blury after 30s I'll probably throw up and have a migraine for days.

My local cinema is only showing Final Destination in 3D and it's really annoyed me.

Man of Honour
I’m looking forward to seeing this in 3D, it will be interesting to see whether the new 3D technology is a real leap forward or just the usual pre-release hype.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
If you are blind in one eye then surely you can't see 3d in everyday life. So real life would look 2d or am I talking rubbish? :confused:

Caporegime
If you are blind in one eye then surely you can't see 3d in everyday life. So real life would look 2d or am I talking rubbish? :confused:

your talking rubbish its al about depth perception which isnt as good when one eye is blind or has poor eye sight.

you know the films on a 2d screen arent really 3d yes? they try to tick your brain it doesnt work if you vision is cack in one eye

Associate
I've been following news on Avatar for the last few months, but I am a bit a bit concerned about the amount of hype surrounding it - there's no doubt that Cameron is one of the best action directors out there and this may herald the future of cinematic 3D, but Cameron's films have never really had that much substance underneath the explosions; impressive yes, quality all-round films no.

Oh and I particularly loved the quote on the OP:
"Neurologists at the screening wondered if the movie had activated parts of the brain that were previously untouched by conventional, two-dimensional films."
:D

Last edited:

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Just seen the trailer and it looked pretty awesome. It's by no means photorealistic but I think the level of detail and things in the scenes will be amazing in 3d. It's doesn't seem like a revolution but rather that it's had a lot more resources available to it than any previous 3d film and it shows, a lot. Can't really judge story/acting much on the trailer but I am rather excited about watching this! Now I just have to try to avoid reading any spoilers before it comes out. :)

edit: just watched it again and it seems a mix of star wars, terminator and jurassic park - HOW CAN IT FAIL????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom