• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Phenom x2 550 BE Running MEGA Slow!

Associate
Hi, Im sure my CPU is not running right it seems really slow. Ive just built a new computer its getting really low frames rates on crysis res 1680x1050 on high settings is giving me 25fps with a GTX 285 graphics card.

I have done some 3dmark06 test with the cpu at stock speed and the cpu score seems really low, can anyone with a phenom x2 550 BE please let me know if there is something wrong here im going crazy.

Ill post up my 3dmark06 screen shot.

screenshotvrj.jpg

and here is a super pi result

superpig.jpg

Like i say crysis is running slow no matter what res im setting it at which makes me think its a cpu problem.

any help ?

Associate
i got a 4870 1 gb

get
SM2.0 Score: 5814
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 6861
CPU Score: 2428

12761 marks

stock 550 BE

Associate
OP
i got a 4870 1 gb

get
SM2.0 Score: 5814
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 6861
CPU Score: 2428

12761 marks

stock 550 BE

ok thanks for the info, i thought something was not right, most games im playing are not running very well with this card. crysis around 25fps / x3 terran conflict 30fps.

I think the cpu is slowing it down, the card should run games really well, can anyone post there CPU score and brand etc ? im just trying to see where the bottleneck is in my system.

Associate
OP
Try overclocking it. If overclocking increases your fps (significantly), the CPU is the bottleneck. I can't see why it could be, but it'll help you diagnose.

Ive give up with messing about with for now, do you think OC will take the card back if im not happy with it?

Ive had it under 28 days.

edited:

Ive just gone to lend a 8800GT of a friend and this is the score on the same system with that card. Which shows the GTX285 not much higher.

screenshotecu.jpg

Im going take it back.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
what res u using?

u could try ocing your cpu then if u get better fps then its the cpu bottlenecking it.

ive just noticed some strange sound from the psu when im running the gfx card in 3dmark06 this only happens when the card is in use is this right ? its like a low pitched screeching sound.

Soldato
ive just noticed some strange sound from the psu when im running the gfx card in 3dmark06 this only happens when the card is in use is this right ? its like a low pitched screeching sound.
some do, even some graphic cards make screeching sound. its fine..

what psu u have?

Xez

Xez

Associate

A lot of graphics cards make this sound purely because they are draining a lot of power. The PSU you have is perfectly fine, have you tried different drivers?

22 seconds in PI is bang on for a 550.

Associate
OP
thanks for all the feedback lads, yeah ive tried different drivers aswell. Ive even installed window XP again today just to check out crysis to see if it runs any better in DX9. Its choppy as hell at 1680x1080 so i droped the res down to 1280x1024 its the same framerate. even at 800x600 it still running below 60fps and thats with medium settings.

I think there is something wrong with the card i found another post on another message board with some guy thats having the same problem with a gtx285 http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=806308

Ive been at this the last few days, last night i even asked to lend a friends old machine thats running at intel core 2 duo with ddr 2 ram in it. Just to check if its was my motherboard, the card runs at the same fps on his system thats a lot older than mine.

Baring in mind that i had to use the same power supply to run the card on his system (780w OCZ PSU) because it requires at least 550w and his psu is only a 500w.

I even tried his 8800GT gfx card into my system and im getting more stable frames rates on 8800GT than my gtx285, the frames are not as high as the gtx285 about 5 to 10 frames lower. The gtx285 should blow the 8800GT out of the window.

Im sick to death with installing new OS's, drivers, running 3Dmark06, im taking it back along with my PSU both of which was bought from OC for them to test the PSU and the GFX card because one of them is naffed.

Back
Top Bottom