Advice & Criticism needed - Newbie photographer

Soldato
Nearly all my shots are portraits, and i've never had the need for a battery grip, i think my camera is more than comfortable enough, personally, i'd get a flash gun or a new lens before a grip, just buy a spare battery pack instead of a grip at first

I felt the same, then I bought it and realised how much more comfortable it was taking photos in portrait as if you were holding the camera in landscape is. I got it 2nd hand for £60.

Of course, it's not for every, just most people.

Soldato
Thats probably the most sound advice, i'm not even sure if i can get a grip for my D40

Yes you can, not an official one, however. Have a look on the bay, there is a few, some without the LCD on the grip, some without the shutter, but you can get it with all of the little bits you want. Was thinking about getting one, but didn't in the end due to upgrading the body.

Oh fair enough, yeah the 40D feels much nicer in the hand without a grip than the 400D does, due to the size difference.

Yeah, depends on the body, I really wanted one for my D40, as it's a small camera anyway, the D200 is just twice the weight and a lot bigger, so don't need the grip yet. Plus it won't fit in any of my bags with one! It's a squeeze as it is, bloody thing :p

Soldato
I went from a 350D which I loved to the 40D. I didn't think the 40D would be any better to hold but I was sooo worng. Much like the battery grip I guess :)

I played with a 50D in a shop the other day and everything about it was nicer than my 400D. I am ready to upgrade but I am awaiting on announcements about the 60D to see if that is worthwhile, or to make the most of people upgrading and selling on their 50D :p

Soldato
tbh I'd see if you could pick up a cheap 40D. It's a great camera and the extras of the 50D don't really give you anything more.

Once I get A LOT better I'll be moving to the xD series. Can't see that for a couple of years though.

Associate
Yes you can, not an official one, however. Have a look on the bay, there is a few, some without the LCD on the grip, some without the shutter, but you can get it with all of the little bits you want. Was thinking about getting one, but didn't in the end due to upgrading the body.

Yeah, depends on the body, I really wanted one for my D40, as it's a small camera anyway, the D200 is just twice the weight and a lot bigger, so don't need the grip yet. Plus it won't fit in any of my bags with one! It's a squeeze as it is, bloody thing :p

Oh right, cool, my only worry is,you know the little door over the battery? where does that go when the grip is on?

Soldato
tbh I'd see if you could pick up a cheap 40D. It's a great camera and the extras of the 50D don't really give you anything more.

Once I get A LOT better I'll be moving to the xD series. Can't see that for a couple of years though.

Fair enough. I'm borrowing a 40D for a wedding in a couple of weeks so it will give me a chance to justify the upgrade to myself :)

I want a 5D mkII though :(

Soldato
The pictures I posted up on the wedding thread where from my 350D. I used mine and borrowed a friends, just in case. At the time I couldn't pick fault with it.

Soon as I tried the 40D I was amazed how mu better it felt. Being slightly larger and with better controlls made such a difference. Especially the wheel on the back.

Associate
OP
If you are shooting potraits like that ScarySquirrel, there is no way you need to upgrade the body :eek: I'd say more glass and accessories.

Soldato
I'm not upgrading anytime soon. Just something I'll be looking at when I'm at a level that justifies the cost etc.

Current glass is the Canon f/1.8 50mm, Tamron f/2.8 17-50 and Canon L f/4 70-200.

I'll be looking at 10mm lenses and an alternative to my 70-200 in the near future :)

Back
Top Bottom