Poll: *** The Snow Leopard Thread - All Related Posts In Here ***

Are you going to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

• Yes indeedy, that I am.

Votes: 236 85.2%
  • No sir, not a chance.

Votes: 41 14.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Just checked order status for my UTD copy of SL and it says:

Estimated Delivery: By August 28th

So I should have it to install and have a play with this weekend!

Associate
Just checked order status for my UTD copy of SL and it says:

Estimated Delivery: By August 28th

So I should have it to install and have a play with this weekend!

Slighty OT but whenever I put my details in for the UTD I get to the basket and there is nothing in there - I bought my MBP from the apple online education store so am I missing a trick? Or should I contact apple support?

Soldato
Slighty OT but whenever I put my details in for the UTD I get to the basket and there is nothing in there - I bought my MBP from the apple online education store so am I missing a trick? Or should I contact apple support?

If you go through the link for bought at a Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?&partNumber=MC204Z/A) and use the address from the top left of the invoice which is in Ireland it will let you order the upgrade online. I had the same problem with a Mac ordered through the Education Store but it went through fine using the address and serial number.

Last edited:
Associate
If you go through the link for bought at a Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?&partNumber=MC204Z/A) and use the address from the top left of the invoice which is in Ireland it will let you order the upgrade online. I had the same problem with a Mac ordered through the Education Store but it went through fine using the address and serial number.

Legend! Thanks - don't know why they haven't put anything anywhere to explain that - there'll be a lot of people who bought macs online who won't be able to work out how to claim their UTD discs.

Soldato
For those little snitchers out there:
The upcoming version 2.2.0 is ready for Snow Leopard and will be a free upgrade for existing Little Snitch 2 license owners. A public beta of Little Snitch 2.2.0 will be available in line with the release of Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard 32 bit kernel => works with existing version
Snow Leopard 64 bit kernel => is broken by SL upgrade, will need this version to work.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If I get Snow Leopard this week, I plan to do a clean install on my early 2008 MBP. I will probably do a time machine backup and then selectively restore apps and documents after the OS is installed.

Anyone know what to do re iTunes? When I did a clean install of Leopard I just backed up the whole iTunes folder, installed new OS, opened iTunes, closed iTunes, restored old iTunes folder, re-opened iTunes.

Anyone using the developer version of 10.6 and can verify if this works?

rp2000

Soldato
Anyone know what to do re iTunes? When I did a clean install of Leopard I just backed up the whole iTunes folder, installed new OS, opened iTunes, closed iTunes, restored old iTunes folder, re-opened iTunes.

rp2000

rp, did that work fine previously in Leopard? I've always been a little worried about restoring the iTunes folder as had issues on Windows boxes e.t.c.

Associate
Yer, im concerned for iTunes as well.
If I back it up using Time Machine will it keep everything? Like playlists, play count, rating, unembedded artwork etc? Are there other ways of doing this?

Soldato
If you've not done anything odd with the locations then Time Machine will store it all.

I've restored iTunes from TM before for a fresh install.

iTunes stores it's stuff under specific directories so you could just back those up. You may need to play with the authorisation.

Associate
If i restore from time machine, can I just restore itunes? I dont want to restore all the documents and settings and stuff of non-itunes things.

Soldato
If i restore from time machine, can I just restore itunes? I dont want to restore all the documents and settings and stuff of non-itunes things.

I restore my user folder from Time Machine. Re-install any apps (the settings are kept as I restored my user folder) and then copy my iTunes *back from an external disk (NAS in my case) rather than use Time Machine for the iTunes restore.

* Time Machine is set to exclude the iTune folder to save space on the Time Machine volume.

Caporegime
rp, did that work fine previously in Leopard? I've always been a little worried about restoring the iTunes folder as had issues on Windows boxes e.t.c.

Yes. My MBP had Leopard, used it for 9 months, did the backup and re-installed form the DVDs. I think you have to open iTunes once on the new install, for it to generate some folders, and then you overwrite with your old folder form Time machine or any other backup. It retained all info including play counts of tracks.

Just drag back the iTunes folder form your Time Machine backup. To me this isn't a restore really as you are just copying a folder. You do not need Time Machine for this. Just copy your whole iTunes folder to the backup device/method of your choice, and copy back after installing SL. This is the best way to avoid copying back any crap from your old install and just getting your iTunes related stuff back.

rp2000

Associate
Quick Question.

On Safari if you are running a proxy server, you obviously had to put in your password which works fine however when your active directory password changes you have to currently go back in and change it. Where as on a Windows PC you can just change the password and it is all happy.

Any idea if they have addressed this issue once you have joined the Mac to Active Directory? I'm hoping that option just won't be there and it works seamlessly but somehow I doubt it.

Thanks
Velocity

Back
Top Bottom