Glass pint glasses to be replaced with plastic

Man of Honour
If I'm paying my hard earned cash for an alcoholic beverage I want it served how I like it :confused:

So taking that to (il)logical extremes - if I like my alcoholic beverages served in the skulls of my vanquished enemies by naked handmaidens then I should be able to demand it from any establishment I go into?

The answer to the above is that, yes, you can indeed request your beverage served any way you like it but that doesn't mean the establishment has to cater to you and if they are legally forbidden from doing so they would be somewhat foolhardy to ignore that.

//edit and the taste argument isn't one that I buy into very much, as I've mentioned I drank out of plastic glasses quite a lot (the hard polycarbonate type) and didn't notice much, if any, difference for average beers or lagers.

Soldato
So taking that to (il)logical extremes - if I like my alcoholic beverages served in the skulls of my vanquished enemies by naked handmaidens then I should be able to demand it from any establishment I go into?

The answer to the above is that, yes, you can indeed request your beverage served any way you like it but that doesn't mean the establishment has to cater to you and if they are legally forbidden from doing so they would be somewhat foolhardy to ignore that.

//edit and the taste argument isn't one that I buy into very much, as I've mentioned I drank out of plastic glasses quite a lot (the hard polycarbonate type) and didn't notice much, if any, difference for average beers or lagers.

Now you're just being daft.

Man of Honour
Now you're just being daft.

Perhaps but it's a fairly simple point, if this legislation goes through then you've still got a right to request a pint served any way you want it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

From experience I know that the taste difference is minimal, if even detectable, so that more or less rules out one line of argument against the change. I know that you can quite easily get used to the weight difference also so that's another gone. The main argument left is that it doesn't address the root cause of the problem of drunken violence which is true but since the downsides of changing are negligible (except to the manufacturers of pint glasses) it doesn't seem there is a whole lot of reason not to swap and if the change is managed with an educational campaign to attempt to get people to drink more responsibly then we might even be able to address the root cause.

Soldato
Perhaps but it's a fairly simple point, if this legislation goes through then you've still got a right to request a pint served any way you want it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

From experience I know that the taste difference is minimal, if even detectable, so that more or less rules out one line of argument against the change. I know that you can quite easily get used to the weight difference also so that's another gone. The main argument left is that it doesn't address the root cause of the problem of drunken violence which is true but since the downsides of changing are negligible (except to the manufacturers of pint glasses) it doesn't seem there is a whole lot of reason not to swap and if the change is managed with an educational campaign to attempt to get people to drink more responsibly then we might even be able to address the root cause.

Never seems to be an issue with glass that needs addressing in the pubs I drink. I like to drink from a glass, this is normal (unlike drinking from a skull or whatever). I like the feel of a glass pint in my hand and against my lips. I don't want to sit around in a pub with fully mature men feeling like a child because he is made to drink from a plastic cup.

Soldato
If I'm paying my hard earned cash for an alcoholic beverage I want it served how I like it :confused:

You didn't choose to be served with a glass container, it's just the way pubs did it in the era you were born. You're pretty much paying for the liquid, not the glass.
Enjoy the drink and stop caring so much about what components the container are made up of.

Seriously, I could not care an iota what metals/glass/plastics my drinks are served in as long as it's sanitary and does the job of getting the liquid from container to mouth.

Man of Honour
It's only a matter of time before you guys will get banned from using metal utensils or participate in any sport that doesnt involve a soft plush ball.

LOL, I feel bad for you guys.

I feel bad for us guys too, having a government that passes random restrictions that are supported by the population through fallacious appeals to emotion rather than solid evidence makes me feel bad, and feel sorry for the people who are so irrational they cannot think things through clearly.

Man of Honour
I feel bad for us guys too, having a government that passes random restrictions that are supported by the population through fallacious appeals to emotion rather than solid evidence makes me feel bad, and feel sorry for the people who are so irrational they cannot think things through clearly.

While I agree with you in general, I think this isn't an example of what you're referring to. You can find solid evidence in A&E at a hospital.

Glass is not a good material for widespread use in drinking vessels, especially when alcohol and crowding are involved. It very easily shatters into very dangerous shards.

It isn't just about assault.

Does anyone here work in A&E? If so, have you had to stitch up anyone's feet after they trod on broken glass? If so, were they permanently injured? How about bar staff with hand injuries due to broken glass?

Assault is a genuine issue, though. A person could snatch something up and use it as a weapon, but without glass pint glasses it's very unlikely that they would already have in their hand an outstandingly effective stabbing and slashing weapon that breaks up in the victim.

There are two lines of objection;

i) It's traditional to use glass. Fine, it's traditional. So why aren't you drinking out of leather jacks or pewter flagons?

ii) The material of the vessel affects the taste of the drink. Yes, it does. But is glass necessarily the best material? If so, is it worth the injuries?

Man of Honour

And all pointless as the % is far to low to make a universal ban even remotely acceptable. It's retarded and people are to willing to give up freedoms. As Dolph says it is a very sad state of affairs.

is it worth the injuries, yes it is.

What we talking about 10 injuries per every 1 million pints drunk. Probably even lower than that. Figures made up. but you think how many drinks are served in glass every day and the number resulting injuries and even less deaths. The number is truly tiny. It is retarded to ban on that. What else are you willing to give up? to save such a tiny amount from injury.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

What we talking about 10 injuries per every 1 million pints drunk. Probably even lower than that. Figures made up. but you think how many drinks are served in glass every day and the number resulting injuries and even less deaths. The number is truly tiny. It is retarded to ban on that. What else are you willing to give up? to save such a tiny amount from injury.

Is this what you tell the people who have been injured? If you don't, would you be willing to? And can I watch if you do?

M

Man of Honour
And all pointless as the % is far to low to make a universal ban even remotely acceptable. It's retarded and people are to willing to give up freedoms. As Dolph says it is a very sad state of affairs.

There are tens of thousands of injuries every year. That is not a negligable amount. I don't see it as a civil liberties issue to replace a hazardous material with a less hazardous one, any more than using safety glass in car windscreens. You think how many miles are driven every day and how many windscreen-breaking accidents there are. The number of such accidents per mile is negligable. A tiny percentage.

Soldato
While the government are looking out for us poor citizens they should also completely ban: spicy food, sharp knives, roller blades, fast cars, smoking, crossing roads, paintball, dancing in nightclubs, sex, talking to strangers and running. I'll suggest some other deadly activities when I get round to thinking them up. Watch this space.

Man of Honour
There are tens of thousands of injuries every year. That is not a negligable amount. I don't see it as a civil liberties issue to replace a hazardous material with a less hazardous one, any more than using safety glass in car windscreens. You think how many miles are driven every day and how many windscreen-breaking accidents there are. The number of such accidents per mile is negligable. A tiny percentage.

What is the actual injury rate per glass or per person?

Are you proposing to ban beer bottles as well?

Back
Top Bottom