Monitor Exploded :(

Associate
My Dell 2405FPW just went pop! Windows had put it into power saving mode/standby, and when i moved the mouse there was a white flash on the screen (towards the right side of the screen) and a loud pop sound. Wasnt really a smell of buring or any smoke, but now the monitor doesnt seem to power up at all.

It's only 4 years old (and of course the warrenty is for 3 years).

Any ideas on what casues this to happen?

I guess I will have to buy a new monitor :(

Can't type for toffee
Don
Doesn't power up or doesnt show anything on screen?
If you have the power light on load up windows and shine a torch on the screen, see if its the backlight that went pop. Doubt it but maybe worth a check

Associate
Might be a PSU problem.. might have to replace some capacitors..

What I would do If it was out of warranty and no one offers repair service for it for a reasonable price (not the same price as a monitor), then I'd give it a quick look inside myself :p

Associate
OP
Yeah, i was expecting it to last longer than 4 years. It doesnt switch on at all, no power light or anything, tried it with another lead so i dont think it's the fuse.

I guess I'll poke around inside, I did see a post on here that mentioned a place where you can buy a new PSU for self repair which might be an option if it's obvious what went pop.

Associate
OP
I've poked around the inside back of the monitor (where the electronics are) and I can't see anything that looks like it went bang. And the fuse is blown on the power/inverter board.

So maybe one of the cathode lights went. I've not taken a look inside yet since it seemed a bit complicated to take apart that much..

I might try replacing the fuse and turning it back on, see if it gets any power and an image without the backlight. Or do you think that would be a mistake?

Associate
I've poked around the inside back of the monitor (where the electronics are) and I can't see anything that looks like it went bang. And the fuse is blown on the power/inverter board.

So maybe one of the cathode lights went. I've not taken a look inside yet since it seemed a bit complicated to take apart that much..

I might try replacing the fuse and turning it back on, see if it gets any power and an image without the backlight. Or do you think that would be a mistake?

A new fuse would cost you a peanut, so worth a go tbh :D

Caporegime
Swap the fuse (they cost pence, but might be tough tracking the glass ones down if you only want a couple). Also look for bulging caps, had a couple of LGs go, changed the caps and they worked a treat.

Back
Top Bottom