• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel CPU puzzle

Associate
I have two pc's both running Vista and both with different Intel CPUs.

In the 1st is a T2130 1.86Gz and in the Windows system information tool it states the following: Processor Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2130 @ 1.86GHz, 1867 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s).

In the 2nd is a Q9550 Yorkfield core 2 Quad but in the system information it states this: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 2834 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)

Can oanyone explain to me why the Yorkfield is only showing 1 core 1 logical processor (underlined above)?

Thanks

Soldato
Consult cpu-z. If it reports it correctly, conclude that windows is a fool and best ignored.

ctrl-alt-delete and task manager should help, does it show four graphs or one?

Soldato
Are you sure that all cores are enabled in the BIOS?

Also, you could check in advanced options in the boot tab in msconfig, you can enable/disable cores in there, I saw a thread on here earlier where someone had a similar problem with an i7 processor and it was the msconfig options that was causing the problem for them.

Soldato
Either incorrect bios settings, or windows is configured with a single processor HAL instead of ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

Another possiblity is that in msconfig (start-run-msconfig), Boot / Advanced, there is a option for number of processors. It should be either unticked (for windows auto detection of cpu cores) or manually set to 4 for a quad core processor. Unticked is best in most cases.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your help and replies but after posting and before any replies came back I decided to install Vista 64 bit OS.

It installed without any problems and I only had to search for one 64 bit driver and that was for the WiFi LAN card, I found it on the Zotac site. One word of warning with this driver, disable any or all LAN network connections before or during the installation of this driver otherwise you might get an error message that the driver has not installed correctly.

All the other 64 bit drivers were on the disk that came with the mobo.

There are now 4 graphs in the CPU performance monitor and the machine is a flyer. Also the computer is running noticeably cooler; why I'm not sure but I think it's because the CPU is running more efficiently.

This is now a great machine and I recommend it.

Again thanks for all your posts.

Back
Top Bottom