4-Way SLI anyone?

Soldato
4-Way SLI anyone ?

No thank you, I would rather stick pencils up my nose and headbut my desk.

But I may buy the board as I could whack in 7 8800gt's and move my folding farm into one case.

Edit: Board cost is $449.99 so maybe not worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The limitation was simply a lack of space. This mobo has enough PCI-e slots to accomodate 4 cards. It's technically possible that it would support 4-way Crossfire as well.

Also, I'd like to see what kind of PSU you need to power that 4-way SLI. Notice each classified 285 needs 3 power connections. Are there any PSU's in existence that have 12 PCI-E connectors? Probably going to have to strap two or even three PSU's together, which means you're gonna need a huge case. Not to mention getting a case with 10 expansion slots. I can see these being custom-case or no-case jobbies.

I think that each one having having three connectors is so they can get a 'stable supply' of power and that just like other they would function on less. I see it as people using all three if going for record breaking clocks etc. Otherwise they are probably a bit gimmicky. But even the 1500W T TP PSU doesn't have that many :p

Associate
Thats not an 80mm, surely? doesnt look it to me anyway. Its a ruddy big heatsink anyway lol.

Quad SLI is overrated - used both dual 9800GX2 + dual GTX295 setups and nothing new how to utilise them.

Yeh, seems the fan is a 40mm, still, i would have like to see a different cooling setup, seems anyone who wants a serious overclock out of teh Classified is watercooling the northbridge.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
muah ha ha

if they bring out watercooled editions...

:D

i love the way the 4 on the box is on fire - lolz

the fact that things like this are being released makes rjk very happy

Soldato
just get a thermaltake toughpower express 650w which can power 2 of the cards and fit in two 5.25" drive bays where there is a will there is a way :)

Soldato
The closest I will come to this will be Trubritars review on Youtube!
4 way SLi crazyness! I hope there is still room for a 9800gt for physics.
They are trying to sell a third shoe to a two legged man!

Associate
LOL - It's not about the gamers out there. There is much more to do with GPU's than games, aka GPGPU. Sure if you play games probably 2 or 3 highend cards will blow away anything that can be thrown at them, however, if you think about DC that can really use the power of 4x cards, then you can see the 'value' in such a setup. If you think of the universities, that could build a 4x dual GPU setup for simulations etc, aka Fastra, then you appreciate what such a motherboard can save and do for such an investment. I don't dissagree with your points on being an overkill for games, fair point. But for all of you saying its a total waste. Really?

Associate
Even though EVGA is highlighting the requirement of a 10 slot case (for 4x SLI) I'm not convinced they're expecting 90% of the buyers to even bother installing it in a case.

Furthermore, I'm beginning to get the impression EVGA aren't building these things to last more than 3/4 months tops (i.e. until they release the next one) or designing them with anything other than benchmarking in mind.

I'm not even convinced that this setup (if integrated in the usual way) would be stable for a decent stretch of gaming before something failed.

The launch of the original Classified was decidedly underwhelming (overheating north bridges, PSU compatibility issues, missing parts and/or documentation from boxes etc), plus the boards turned up in Europe over three months late.

I'd like to think that EVGA has tidied things up this time around, though evidence suggests that "sprint to press and take a chance on the consequences" would seem their more likely approach....again.

Last edited:
Associate
The point that its pointless and will create a lot of heat and use a lot of power is irrelavant. The point is that that is immensly cool and you all know you really want one if you could!

i would!!!!

Associate
I am sure that the 4 way Sli has two x NF200 chipsets providing more PCI-e lanes. I hopped onto the EVGA support site to check this out, but they only have a quick user manual saying to check the installation manual if you are installing 4x sli configuration.

Also noting that yes, if it does have two x NF200's then ouch that will be much more heat.

-casw1000
fold4life.com

Back
Top Bottom