Mac Only Apps

Soldato
You can use Hide (Cmd-H) to hide all of an application's window(s) at once and they'll restore when you come back to the application. IMO the Minimize function is largely redundant in OS X.

Annoyingly, that doesn't work with Photoshop.

What does work with Photoshop is alt-clicking the desktop though :)

v0n

v0n

Soldato
You can use Hide (Cmd-H) to hide all of an application's window(s) at once and they'll restore when you come back to the application. IMO the Minimize function is largely redundant in OS X.

Hmmm.. possibly the worst thing I ever followed. Cmd-H'd dreamweaver, the icon is now semi transparent and I can't get the application to come back up, "show" from menu doesn't work, "show all" doesn't work, cmd-tabbing to it doesn't work, alt clicking, cmd clicking, mid clicking - nothing. I swear never to use Cmnd-H again just please, please tell me how on earth to get that application back on the desktop, I have two hours worth of work in it (starts sobbing in the corner)...

Soldato
Woah.. Hide is a standard operation listed in the the ApplicationName menu of every application's menu bar, with that being the keyboard shortcut. Never heard of an application barfing because of it.

No idea what's up - sorry! :o

Associate
right click on dock icon?
bring all to front?
tab between spaces?

Last resort perhaps quit Dreamweaver.... it should ask you to save your work first but don't hold me to that!

Associate
Textmate, CSSEdit, Quicksilver, Terminal and Transmit form the main usage of my mac for day to day stuff. Those, plus, other mac specific stuff like Exposé, system consistency etc all make the Mac experience worthwhile for me, plus the fact I don't have to babysit the OS install into not breaking or slowly dying on me.

Associate
I'd have to agree with Expose making it all worthwhile for me. I've recently discovered Coda though, a web development program. Not quite as tooled-up as the other options, but it's all-in-one very neat, pretty package, really suits me and my work style (it stops me getting too cluttered).

box

box

Associate
Things!

I bought a Mac just to be able to carry on using this! :D

AFAIK there is absolutely nothing that could compare on Windows.

Soldato
Aperture, Logic, safari with webkit (awful pc counterpart), iChat, iWork'09, iTunes (awful pc counterpart).

Those are the ones i use.

Soldato
OmniGraffle

Having used Visio 2003 for work for many years, I tried OmniGraffle Professional and I was shocked how bad it was. I've not seen a good template based vector drawing package for non-graphic designer tasks. It seems odd that iWork doesn't come with something (a separate app or better inbuilt page drawing). Work has been MS Office 2003.. until recently :D

Currently I'm using iWork pages for job applications and that's about it.. :D

Man of Honour
Having used Visio 2003 for work for many years, I tried OmniGraffle Professional and I was shocked how bad it was. I've not seen a good template based vector drawing package for non-graphic designer tasks. It seems odd that iWork doesn't come with something (a separate app or better inbuilt page drawing). Work has been MS Office 2003.. until recently :D

Currently I'm using iWork pages for job applications and that's about it.. :D

Got to agree but I think (compared to other office apps at least) it's a fairly niche app...

Associate
Well, I do live gigs with OS X, and I couldn't do the visuals without VDMX, which is Mac-Only.

I also have really come to love mastering tracks in Logic Studio, which I guess does have it's PC equivalents, but in my opinion, Cubase and Pro Tools don't really match it.

EventSync is also really useful, it syncs events from Facebook into iCal, which I then sync with my phone and can see what I'm doing wherever I am :)

Associate
I am sure there are similar programs for Windows in my list, but none comes close to the Mac version, and yes it's worth the price difference.

1Password
Skitch
Tags
iPhoto
Keynote
Together
The Hit List
Things
Brush Pilot
CSS Edit
Deep, Leap, Fresh and Yep
Time Machine