Mortgages

Man of Honour
Looking at two slightly different price brackets :

200k region - 3 bed semi/townhouse. Some would have an internal garage or shared garage. Would come turnkey/nothing more to do.

250k region - 4 bed detached, 2 reception, garage, good sized garden in a great development. However would need to carpet/tile the place

Now, for both we could stretch to a 20% deposit. Difference between the two would be approx £300 a month in payments.

Should I stretch it and get the best house possible? My feeling is that I am probably likely to want to go for the bigger house at some stage down the line anyway..!

I was faced with a similar decision last year, 3-bed townhouse @ ~£235k or 4-bed detached at ~£285k. Went for the smaller property in the end as we don't need the extra space, it would just be 'nice'. Also was a bit worried about losing more money on the 4-bed due to all the property doom and gloom last year.

Not saying I regret my decision per se, but I can look out the window and see a nicer house that I could be living in plus house prices seems to have stabilised. I worry too much about getting what I perceive as VFM rather than just buying what I want like everyone else does. No doubt I'll end up retired with wedge of cash but only an average life to look back on :(

Caporegime
Funnily, we just went on a new two year fix with Abbey yesterday. 3.89 % with £125 arrangement fee.

We were on 6.29% with them and we have around 35k equity in a place worth about 160k. I thought we'd be closer to 5% but I'm not going to complain!

Wow nice. I must admit I haven't spoken to Abbey since my fixed rate expired, I just assumed that the rates they'd offer would be similar to the ones they're offering to new customers and I'd be better off on the SVR. I'd better give them a ring on Monday.

Did they send anyone round to value your house or did they just compute a value for your home?

Associate
I was faced with a similar decision last year, 3-bed townhouse @ ~£235k or 4-bed detached at ~£285k. Went for the smaller property in the end as we don't need the extra space, it would just be 'nice'. Also was a bit worried about losing more money on the 4-bed due to all the property doom and gloom last year.

Not saying I regret my decision per se, but I can look out the window and see a nicer house that I could be living in plus house prices seems to have stabilised. I worry too much about getting what I perceive as VFM rather than just buying what I want like everyone else does. No doubt I'll end up retired with wedge of cash but only an average life to look back on :(

Thanks, I have a feeling that I may regret if it I do go for a smaller house when a much bigger one was within reach, albeit making things a bit tighter for a while.. will need to make my decision soon :(

Soldato
we just got our Mortgage with RBS last week, base + 2.99% for 2 years interest only with a 28% deposit and 4.5x single income (from 2 jobs)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm currently in the early stages of looking for a house. It's will be a standard 2 or 3 bed terrace though, so nothing too exciting! Just a shame they haven't come down all that much in price.

I have looked around though, and it seems that i can get a decent enough mortgage rate as i have a 25% desposit.

I'm quite looking forward to the prospect of a bit of DIY!

Having never viewed a house before though (other than for renting), are there any questions that should be asked?

Soldato
Wow nice. I must admit I haven't spoken to Abbey since my fixed rate expired, I just assumed that the rates they'd offer would be similar to the ones they're offering to new customers and I'd be better off on the SVR. I'd better give them a ring on Monday.

Did they send anyone round to value your house or did they just compute a value for your home?

It was all taken care of over the phone, no revaluation needed. When we purchased they had valued it at 180k. I must admit, initially I was going to do exactly what you are and stay on the SVR, which is 4.29% I think, but the wife and I discussed it and decided to see what they said. On Thursday they offered 3.99, but the guy seriously hinted that we should call them on Friday and it had dropped by 0.1%.

Strangely, Lloyds wouldn't even entertain a reasonable rate when we had a review of our current account recenetly! I think it was 6.5 or so.

I'd say it doesn't hurt to ask and if you get a good deal all the better.

Associate
Rent for a year first. Living with somebody is rather different to seeing them when you feel like it and if it falls apart its much easier if you are renting than if you've got a mortgage with them.
wise words

Hardest part of the housing ladder is 1st 10 years if you don't have that initial deposit (I only had 5%) after 10 years you should have built up enough equity to jump up the ladder again

Rule of thumb for lenders for joint income is 2.75x joint income or 3.5x main income and 1.5x secondary income I think but then it varies on lender/age of applicant, what way the wind is blowing that day etc

And mortgage length can have a massive impact on what you can afford to borrow, 1 mortgage was for 30 years as I was only 23 now its 25 years (less due to overpayments)

Associate
To the OP, if you are looking at securing a £200k mortgage in the SE and only 1-2 beds, I imagine you are looking in town areas. Still it would be best to check www.rightmove.co.uk and review the prices shown on there - you may want to consider getting that £200k stretched a bit further to a 3-bed semi detached, or some sort, outside of town areas. This will reduce your need to upgrade a handful of years down the line, but you will be scrapping convenience for future-proofing. You say you want to be in the right position for securing a mortgage in about a year, but it is never to early to look and get a feel for how houseprices change over the year.

At the moment it is difficult to say what the banks will be like in a year's time. As first time buyers you will get access to some good deals, but the days of next-to-nothing deposits are over. To secure yourself the best (i.e. lowest) mortgage rates, the bigger deposit you will need - typically at the moment the best rates are for 75% LTV (Loan-to-Value) meaning you need to cough up 25% deposit. It will be difficult at first (parents!), but will certainly make your life easier in the long run as your monthly mortgage payments will be lower.

If the place you want to buy is exactly £200k, that means finding £50,000 to wack down in the beginning. However, some banks are still willing to lend for 10% deposits, provided you have a good credit rating, and most at 15%+. Being first time buyers I am not sure how much emphasis they will place on your earning history.

To get an idea, you could head to town and get an appointment with an independent "all-of-market" (access to all) mortgage broker (check with agents - I found ours in, of all places, Choices! But he was brilliant), who will crunch the numbers and show you the options on screen, and tell you the likelihood of Bank A, B, or C willing to lend to you in your circumstances and for what% deposits.

With regards to other expenditure (redecorating, furnishing the place) - this will depend on what you come with/condition of the place in the first instance. It is unlikely you'll want to live in an empty house for longer then 6 months (about the time when the house-honeymoon period wears off). However, note that there are always Buy Now Pay Later options (i.e. Sony if you spend over £1,500 you get Buy Now Pay 12 months Later, DFS for sofas allow you to spread the cost over several years if necessary, and places like LX Direct also offer BNPL deals for everything else).

A good site to use for explanations on credit cards, loans, mortgages etc is www.moneysavingexpert.com, but don't apply for anything if it is to supplement your spending and you'd struggle to pay it back/pay the minimum repayments - if you can't afford it, just wait until you can.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only other financial commitment i have is the student loan! Not that they've bothered to start taking any money yet... or even ask for it!

Soldato
I echo the advice from Fox about living with a lady first. They are fickle and mad creatures :D

25% Deposit is also the way to go and something I am saving up for currently. It may take a bit longer but will be worth it in the long run.

And play the lottery :p

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I echo the advice from Fox about living with a lady first. They are fickle and mad creatures :D

25% Deposit is also the way to go and something I am saving up for currently. It may take a bit longer but will be worth it in the long run.

And play the lottery :p

Likewise - I have lived with my partner for nearly a year now - I'm grateful for it - thankfully it's gone great. However, a point I wanted to raise re: deposit.

Those saving for the deposit (like myself) do you still live at home? I'm looking to have 25% (maybe more, depends on circumstances) but I'm looking to buy in around 2 years time. I'm trying to weigh up the benefits of this because my rent is £1200/mth. In these two years I'll have paid a hell of a lot of rent just to get a better rate, when I could be paying off £1200/mth of a mortgage.

I'm just trying to gauge whether the points raised in this thread are aimed towards those still living with parents, as I understand a fair few who have posted in here do live at home, or those in rented?

Man of Honour
I'm trying to weigh up the benefits of this because my rent is £1200/mth. In these two years I'll have paid a hell of a lot of rent just to get a better rate, when I could be paying off £1200/mth of a mortgage

The thing is though of that £1200/month a fair whack will probably just be going on the interest. In the space of 2 years you might be surprised how little capital has been repaid. Maybe have a look around and see what sort of properties you can afford and weigh up the costing relative to renting.

It's worth bearing in mind that in 2 years time it is reasonably likely (my opinion) that interest rates will be higher than they are now. So it may be worth mortgaging even with a 15% deposit if you can grab an OK deal, bearing in mind the rent saving. Obviously though you'll want to weigh that up against what you think is going to happen to house prices during that time.

Personally I don't think it's that bad a time to buy right now, a 5-year fix could protect against rate rises and can get had @ 5.75% with a 15% deposit (may be better deals available). Obviously deals aren't as good as they were 2 years ago in terms of the premium charged by lenders, but I think they will only get worse over the next couple of years once base rate starts creeping back up.

Soldato
In the space of 2 years you might be surprised how little capital has been repaid.

Looking at the mortgages i am considering, over a 3 year peiriod this is how it all works out.
£105k mortgage, 4.39% fixed for 3yrs, on a 25yr term

Over those 3yrs this is where the money goes:
£20,775 paid
£13,364 is interest
£7,391 is capital repayment

This is the calculator i used:
http://www.tigertom.co.uk/ttcalc/mortgage.php

N$X

N$X

Associate
just saving that 25% is going to take time.

i just remortgaged in janaury via first direct, who had the lowest rate at that time.

tbh i never even heard about them until late last year. i missed out on 1% above bank of england base rate by a day. i was receving dud advice from HSBC at the time. the guy was more interested in chatting my mrs up, rather than offer us a decent mortgage rate.

it was a lot tougher to get the mortgage, they wanted my P60, pay slips and bank statements.

at the moment i am on 1.49% above bank of england base rate.

i opted for interest only and save the amount i would have paid for capital in an ISA.

my council tax is not far from my mortgage, i am currently paying about £170.00, over 10months and this is gauranteed to go up next april.

below is a mortgage calculator:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/mortgage-calculator

the site below was useful when i was searching and wanting advice:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
The thing is though of that £1200/month a fair whack will probably just be going on the interest. In the space of 2 years you might be surprised how little capital has been repaid. Maybe have a look around and see what sort of properties you can afford and weigh up the costing relative to renting.

It's worth bearing in mind that in 2 years time it is reasonably likely (my opinion) that interest rates will be higher than they are now. So it may be worth mortgaging even with a 15% deposit if you can grab an OK deal, bearing in mind the rent saving. Obviously though you'll want to weigh that up against what you think is going to happen to house prices during that time.

Personally I don't think it's that bad a time to buy right now, a 5-year fix could protect against rate rises and can get had @ 5.75% with a 15% deposit (may be better deals available). Obviously deals aren't as good as they were 2 years ago in terms of the premium charged by lenders, but I think they will only get worse over the next couple of years once base rate starts creeping back up.

Thanks, HangTime :)

Back
Top Bottom