Yet another spec me a road bike

Associate
OP
true true
however it is kinda nice to have a quiet hub
my GT had no clicky sound which was really nice.

Well I first went with Ribble however canceled the order since they
seems to have a pretty ****ty customer support and slow progression through
their orders wish I live near their store.

So I went with Kiron MTL Blade and requested for black tapes instead of white
at Wiggles they are really nice giving all these free stuff
Kiron MTL-Blade £799.00
Large
Well seems like you are right about dark coloured bikes makes scratches even more visible once compared my black car vs lighter coloured cars.

Wiggle Complementary Bike Tools £0.0
dhb Triple Lens Sunglasses £0.0
Smoke -

and 10% of that order will go to my main account so £79.99:D to spend on stuff which you guys can give me tips on to spend.
current list so far is
bottle cage.
Crud Road racer mudguards(still waiting for it to come in stock though)

SPD pedals already have taken from my GT.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Kiron-detailed-picture-zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hope you like it. I've not ridden one, but I've only heard excellent things about it.

If you are using it for commuting then how about:

Lights
CO2 Pump
Armoured Tyres (Gatorskins or Marathons)
Bib shorts
Jerseys
Windproofs
Waterproofs
Spare tubes
Tyre levers

Associate
OP
ye forgot to mention
I've got
Lights
Waterproof/Windproof jacket
D locks might need a 2nd one for the front wheel

Will have to get
Spare tubes though
Bib shorts? EDIT: oh some kind of spandex suit that helps with compression of muscles or something like that lol.
Tyres will probably cost the most

So the current list for £80
Bottle cage a fiver
spare tubes a few quid I guess
Tyres £40-£50 for a pair
Crud Road racer mudguards £25

thanks for your help btw since there is so many brands and numbers that confuses me.
Been learning a lot the past few days.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a lock for mine, but the only place I leave it locked is to the desk in my office or, if anyone complains, in the secure underground car park at work. I'd never leave it anywhere else unattended.

If I'm cycling into town or to the station I've got a £70 second hand hybrid for that - best anti theft investment I ever made. I might even paint it pink for extra protection.

Associate
OP
yeah my workplace is pretty secure with cameras on top of it and the stand is like 5m from the staff entrance it's just the front wheel I'm worried about I guess a simple wire through the D lock should be fine

Associate
OP
so while I wait for my Kiron
I dropped by a local Halfords to check out the boardmans
and test rode a Boardman Comp SC the singlespeed/fixed bike
the bike was very light about 8kg however when I test rode it it felt too light
the spec is 48 x 18T, don't think it will be very speedy at all, albeit you can change it
don't wanna bother change stuff at overpriced £499.
Feels very good to ride it though.
I'll try to find a 2nd hand singlespeed for the extra wet/slush condition later this winter.

Soldato
Singlespeeds are ace, I'm riding a felt dispatch to work now. I've put a fixed sprocket on and fliped over the wheel though, the only way to ride single speeds ;)

Fixed gearing is a little different, the 48x18 actually gives a gear inch of 70.3 which is almost perfect for most use. I'm currently on 39x15 for 68.6 gear inch. I can hit 25-26mph with 130+rpm cadence so speed isn't really an issue, if the gearing is too high then you'll be really struggling with any nasty hills or even strong headwinds. The slightly lower gearing also gives great acceleration off the lights.

I find fixed bikes help to develop smooth flow through traffic, better control of speed off the brakes, good for working out legs with sprinting off the lights and also you learn better pedalling technique with smoother faster spinning.

Associate
OP
oh I see
yeah I always wanted a singlespeed to be my workhorse
so the gears was correct then.
Not really hilly hear near heathrow just the strong headwind now and then.

Associate
Kiron bikes seem to be pretty nice. I Have the Scandium 2009 bike Wiggle had a while back. It's a lovely bike. Nice to ride, stiff and light. Done over 2k miles on mine now and can't fault it.

Associate
OP
Kiron bikes seem to be pretty nice. I Have the Scandium 2009 bike Wiggle had a while back. It's a lovely bike. Nice to ride, stiff and light. Done over 2k miles on mine now and can't fault it.

good to hear!
Yeah can't wait untill it get here
I abused the refer a friend deal by creating a 2nd account and got £80 cashback today and spent them on new tyres and other essentials like
crud road racer mudguards.
Now my 2nd account is platinum and I get 12% off everything that hasn't already got redection on.
I love wiggle :D

Soldato
The focus bike I've got in work at the momen apparently came setup from wiggle and I refuse to believe the customer that it did. The thing looks like a halfords part timer pdi'd it lol!

Associate
OP
The focus bike I've got in work at the momen apparently came setup from wiggle and I refuse to believe the customer that it did. The thing looks like a halfords part timer pdi'd it lol!

Well obviously I wouldn't trust any work done by anyone at this point as it seems there is a horror story on each online store / local store.
I'll just go through it thoroghly before I ride.
BeOne Storm 2009 anyone btw.

Associate
OP
:D Finally all the gears and bits came and the bike as well.
Fitted the crud roadracer mudguards very close fit no rub though looks alright
just wished my bike were a bit darker though.

The bike itself is great the rear hub noise is very loud compared to my GT
doesn't really bother that much.
Now I just need to take time to make it a perfect fit.

Soldato
I ride fixed 43x15. You on LFGSS or BR at all DanF?

Holly thread revival. Nah I'm not on them but have read them a few times. 43x15 is pretty damn hight for road riding. I've gotten used to 39x15, managed to chase down a Condor fixed today with 155 cadence and 31.5mph. I'd like to get up to 170 for bursts but that's going to take a while.

What's your FCN rating? I'm a 5 on the fixed and 4 on my road bike :D no shaven legs here.

http://www.itsnotarace.org/fcn-calculator/

Back
Top Bottom