• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Running To Hot At Stock Speeds!!

Associate
I have just gone out and bought a phenom II x4 quad core 955 black edition cpu, its running mega hot about 46c idel and 55c under max load. Its nothing to do with airflow because ive took the side off my case no difference, I have even took off the heatsink which is a freezer 64 pro and re set it about 5 times thinking it was the heatsink not seated correcty or something. This cooler was fine on me phenom II x2 so its not the cooler.

It seems way to hot could it be faulty ?

I thought this cpu overclocked well im stuggling keep it cool at stock speeds.. haha

edit:

Im using this motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats not hot.

The Phenom II X2 has a TDP of 80W, the 955BE has a TDP of 125W, so it's bound to quite a lot hotter than the X2 you're refering to.

Get a better cooler if you want lower temps, as the Freezer 64 Pro is fine for most things, but it's not a premium cooler by todays standards.

Associate
OP
Thats not hot.

The Phenom II X2 has a TDP of 80W, the 955BE has a TDP of 125W, so it's bound to quite a lot hotter than the X2 you're refering to.

Get a better cooler if you want lower temps, as the Freezer 64 Pro is fine for most things, but it's not a premium cooler by todays standards.

I have tried the stock heatsink that came with the cpu that didnt keep it cool too. I know 55c is not the max temp but at stock speed thats only -7c from the max of 62c. Which is hot! haha Your would think that the fan they provide woud keep this cpu at a temp that was safe, but when using AMD's cooler it was hitting 60c / 61c on max load. what use is it to supply a fan that is not up to the standard to keep the cpu running at proper temps. I know im going have to go out and buy a better one but why should i have too this is stock speed. (anyway rant over) haha :D

could you recommend a good cooler for this cpu then ?

thanks

Associate
I have the UD3P motherboard and the X4 955, running mine at stock speeds with the stock cooler/fan in an Antec 902 case (seated it with AS5).

Idle temps are around 34oC and go up to about 44oC under full load.

Associate
OP
I have the UD3P motherboard and the X4 955, running mine at stock speeds with the stock cooler/fan in an Antec 902 case (seated it with AS5).

Idle temps are around 34oC and go up to about 44oC under full load.

thanks for that info mate, so there is a problem for sure. 1. thing i will ask is do you have amd cool n quiet running or ?

Associate
No problem - yeah it does sound like there's something wrong possibly.

I do have Cool 'n' Quiet set to "auto" in BIOS, so it's enabled. I also find that if I set my power plan to "Balanced" when I'm not gaming etc, then the CPU throttles down better and stays nice and cool.

Hope you get it sorted. :)

Associate
OP
so could the cpu be faulty? Ive never had a dodgy cpu before so dont know what to look out for but this heat seems like a problem. I read on some site that sometimes the cpu could have slight dip in the top causing the heat sink to not sit right. I dunno, im going to take the freezer off and try putting the stock heat sink on again with AS5 paste and see if that sorts it out.

if not would you recommend taking it back ?

what Thermal Compound u using?

Artic Silver mate.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're using Arctic Silver 5, then just remember that the temps you see when you first start using the PC will be slightly higher than normal, as it takes approx 200 hours to properly "bed in". Usually drops around 3-4oC from the initial temps.

Will disable CnQ if/when I decide to overclock, but want to get a better CPU cooler first, as even just going up to 3.4 Ghz sent my temps from 45 to 52! :eek:

Associate
OP
If you're using Arctic Silver 5, then just remember that the temps you see when you first start using the PC will be slightly higher than normal, as it takes approx 200 hours to properly "bed in". Usually drops around 3-4oC from the initial temps.

Will disable CnQ if/when I decide to overclock, but want to get a better CPU cooler first, as even just going up to 3.4 Ghz sent my temps from 45 to 52! :eek:

could you disable CnQ just to see if the temps are hitting 50+ ? with prime running? no overclocks just as standard (stock speeds)

Associate
OP
Hits about 45 peak under prolonged load maxed out, have already tested. :)

ah ok thanks this is mine with prime on for about 40mins

coretempscrh.png

Associate
Sorry, misread what you asked before.. 45 is under normal usage, but if I run Prime95 on torture testing, it maxes out at 55.

So maybe that's not too hot? Just depends how low it goes otherwise.

Change your power option to "balanced", leave it idling for 10 mins and see how low it can go?

Associate
It looks a bit hot for some reason. My PII with 4 cores at 3300 and CnQ enabled runs about 25C with normal use and gaming about 45C with an old opteron's heatpipes heatsink!

priming it goes as high as 55C which is expected.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom