360 Vs. PS3 Update Size

Associate
Why are PS3 game updates almost always massive in MB's?

Whenever I fire a new 360 game up, if it has an update the bar fills the screen in literally seconds and its done...

Different story on my PS3, fired up Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and its got a 608MB update. Quite frankly, its insulting.

It was a similar story with GT5: Prologue, with not just large updates, but many of them.

Soldato
Would just be interesting to see if anyone else who has both consoles and has tried the same games on both has noticed a difference in update size.

Little or no difference between multiplats afaik. You tend to find PS3 exclusive games often get new content in their patches, for example buzz had a 400mb patch which i then found had new characters in it. On the multiplat front a good example would be street fighter where the file sizes of the championship patch for each console was within 10mb of eachother.

Soldato
This is the 608mb Motorstorm update.

What’s in the update?

The update contains improvements and amendments to the game, and fixes for several issues reported by players on the MotorStorm forum.

> Microbadges – Secret Microbadges unlocked.
The hidden Microbadges are no longer a mystery: check them out from the Microbadges screen in your Garage.

> Audio Settings – Preference order is now DTS followed by AC3.
DTS audio settings are automatically configured if available.

> Audio Settings – Vehicle horn volume control added.
Volume of vehicle horns can now be adjusted using a dedicated sliding scale.

> Garage – Competition Winners Gallery added.
A Gallery for photo competition winners can be viewed from your Garage.

> Speed Events – Gate visibility improved.
Not only are the next two gates now visible (instead of only the next one), the colour of the flares at each gate have changed to make the Speed Events a little easier: orange smoke on the left and yellow smoke on the right.

> Speed Events – Gate ‘passed’ issue fixed.
When playing in standard definition, the issue with some gates not registering as ‘passed’ has been fixed.

> Split-screen – 4-player Split-screen lock-up fixed.
A potential lock-up situation, occasionally caused by leaving a 4-player split-screen race, has been fixed.

> Online Racing – “Never-ending (zero lap) races” fixed.
Races will no longer begin with (and remain infinitely at) zero laps; a problem which affected various online races since Update 1.02.

> Online Racing – All 12 positions displayed in race results.
Since Update 1.02, only the top 8 positions were displayed at the end of a race. This is fixed and all 12 results are displayed at the end of the race.

> Online Rankings – Rank cap increased.
In order to alleviate the congestion at the top of the Leaderboard the rank cap has been increased.

> Online Leaderboards – Player’s stats added.
You can now view any player’s stats from any of the Leaderboards in the game, and compare them with your own.

> Online Matchmaking – “Searching for Matchmaking” screen fixed.
The “Searching for Matchmaking” message no longer overlaps, as it did in certain languages.

> Soundtrack – Track previews added.
Highlighting a track on the playlist (from the Soundtrack screen in the Options menu) will play the track.

> Soundtrack – Track details added to Pause Screen.
The artist and song title of the track being played are displayed on the Pause Screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now when i say this i'm trying very hard to avoid offending people, this is not a fanboy comment as the aforementioned xbox exclusive was not programmed by microsoft in any way and the studio that made it are notorious for leaving games unfixed but here we go....

Fable 2. Dear god that game was buggy, i've just played it through and over a year after release there are still several massive bugs to watch out for. For example i had to redo an entire quest (a long one at that) because the guy at the end of it outside the crucible wouldn't talk to me. Add to that several other bugs such as my character getting stuck in some form of default pose like you see in developer videos (arms out at length, legs straight down) twice, which required a restart of the game and several other niggles and i knew i was playing a lionhead game.

Would i rather have a several hundred MB patch to fix those things? Of course.

Again i'm not saying that it's anything to do with either console, it's more the fact that i like to see big patches that make major alterations to the game (for the better). I mean look at Killzone 2, the control scheme for that game was overhauled three times just to appease the fanbase and all sorts of other alterations and balance fixes have been applied over the past few months.

Soldato
Guess it depends on what's broken / wrong with the game. Maybe the item they need to update is such a large file and they can't patch it with a small file size, so they need to send you the full file - 600~ MB is rather large though.

Caporegime
Nothing to do with update size, but I have noticed that demo sizes tend to differ considerably. I downloaded one demo for both consoles and there was about 500mb difference.

(With the PS3 demo being bigger).

Last edited:
Soldato
Erm, a large 'update', as in bugs fixed, extra features, the usual...

Any other useless comments?

You started this thread comparing update sizes without saying what the updates actually were. This thread is flawed as you only mentioned exclusive game updates. If a update for a mutli-plat game was much larger on the ps3 than the 360, then you'd have a valid reason to complain.

:/

Last edited:
Associate
How on earth does that update list require 608mb! It sounds like just bug fixes 0.o.

As a 360 owner i really do wish more games were patched as consciously as killzone 2. Spose gears was but the patchess just made it worse :p.

Publishers really need to spend more time testing their games. Ive played games where they could have been optimized a bit better or even basic bugs that ruin the game. Just baffles me really. Greedy ********.

Back
Top Bottom