Microsoft hatred .. Were they right?

Permabanned
Time for a true story .. are you sitting comfortably?

I went to a completely free event put on by Microsoft where basically they got a full orchestra (120 odd professional musicians) to play classical versions of famous computer game music (from old skool to modern stuff). It was a concert -- playing versions of famous computer game music. It was in a concert hall. They also provided free refreshments and had video from the game displayed on a cinema screen behind the orchestra.

Nerdy? Yep. But for me, It was 100% awesome. A really, really good free night out. Oh, they also gave away a load of 360s basically at random (host says 'which game was that from then?' and gives an xbox to some kid that shouted the answer). I'd have expected and been happy to pay £50 TBH, but Microsoft copped the whole darn bill. They didn't plug Microsoft -- there was no advertising apart from during the break they let anyone that fancied it mess around on loads of XBOX 360s they'd set up, and the very last song they played was the Halo 3 music. And thats it. Apparently it was a 'gift back to the community'. The music was all formats ..NOT just 360.

So, all totally free. All awesome (if it sounds cr&p - fair enough -- you had to be there and be a nerd to love it!). At the very end everyone crazy cheering the classical musicians as they slammed through the final fantasy music then finished Halo 3.

Then a single microsoft representative came on just to say basically thanks for coming, hope you enjoyed it. Still no Microsoft plug. Just the normal Microsoft bloke who had spent his time persuading Microsoft to part with the cash, and a long time organising the whole gig (including getting permissions from software publishers etc) on. Proper hard work I reckon.

So, he wanders on stage and is announced as 'Microsoft guy'. Then all the geeks, basically about 90% of the crowd the moment they hear he is a Microsoft Rep start booing and hissing, and being pretty darn nasty. It was loud and seriously unnerving to the guy. They were, by the volume of booing etc., physically not letting the guy speak -- JUST 100% because they heard he is Microsoft. Some of the braver ones screaming abuse including swearing at the bloke (while laughing and enjoying it). I've never experienced 'excited, mob hatred' like it. Microsoft guy didn't even say a word and they just went 100% HATRED at him. At a 'provided by Microsoft' free awesome gig.

After about 3 minutes of trying to speak he just gave up and left the stage, and the crowd of nerds stomped out really, really happy like some kind of totally proud class of retards who've finally made the supply teacher cry. It made me sick to my stomach and I felt totally embarrassed by the whole event .. especially as I (and the whole crowd) had really, honestly had an awesome free time. The event probably won't happen again ever now I dunno.

Anyway I'm in heated debate with my friend who I went with .. he says Microsoft-guy deserved it totally because Vista was so useless and Microsoft are ****ers. He loved the fact it happened and the guy who didn't get to say a word was totally humiliated. It was the highlight of his night. He laughs when thinking about it.

So for me and my mates argument you be the jury .. in your book .. was the crowds behaviour acceptable, even funny? Or unacceptable?

Associate
Unacceptable, why should this one guy take the bullet for whatever percieved failings there have been within such a huge company.
That MS put on this even at no cost to those people at all and were treated with such disrespect is disgusting. They should have taken back all the free give-aways and kicked everyone out there and then.

Soldato
Microsoft is just one of those companies it's 'cool' to hate among many geek circles, pathetic really.

Sounds like an awesome evening, shame it was ruined for you.

Associate
And yet every single one of those dissenters will almost certainly have a Windows OS and probably a 360 as well:rolleyes: I just don't get fanboys or anti-fanboys...

No they weren't right, they just thought they were being 'cool' by jumping on the standard MS hatred bandwagon - so what if they have to listen to a little of the business spiel, seems like a small price to pay for an entertaining free evening. Sure Microsoft are not exactly saints, but all the companies are the same, MS, Sony, Nintendo, Apple etc; they all have good sides and bad sides.

Caporegime
Vista is useless and Microsoft are ****ers, however there's no excuse for that sort of anti-social behaviour. Sadly it's all too common in the UK at the moment - frankly I'm embarrassed by that story :(

Soldato
Sorry what was the event?

I mean at the moment all I'm picturing is a hall of people and a orchestra. I'm also wondering why all the people are there.

I'm no siding with the hissing just you haven't explained what the event was about.

Soldato
Bunch of morons, hate based on a complete lack of constructive reasoning and even more innappropriate given the the nature of the event you were at.

I went to an event at my Uni hosted by Rare and Microsoft a couple of years ago and there was nothing but genuine interest and respect throughout.

Last edited:
Soldato
why do i get the feeling this isn't the whole story O_o

I have been to a few microsoft conferences and never seen a reaction like you have described, particularly if they were giving away free stuff

Associate
You'll always get idiots like your friend. Ungrateful ****s. Unfortunately it's becoming too common...

I guess the only way to try and get the point across is just but it bluntly:

- The guy they intimidated and embarrassed worked hard to make that possible, even free for him to attend. What right does he have to hurl abuse at him because of the company he worked for? Said company will also do far more good for the world than your friend and the rest of the mob will ever manage.

If he still doesn't get it then give up, not worth it!

EDIT: Ooo and Final Fantasy music - acceee. I'll stick on my soundtracks...

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
EXTRA INFO

This is the exact event. It happened last year also thats where this occurred.

http://kotaku.com/294396/video-games-live-kicks-off-london-games-festival

looks like they are starting charging though but they are doing it again. :| awesome night though can't recommend it enough -- if anyone wants someone to go with -- lets go for a beer and then this .. let me know its great apart from the last 5 minutes :|

Soldato
Who invited everyone there?

Seems a bit odd that the 'tards started booing when they found out this guy was Micro$oft if they're at a M$ event anyway.

P.S Halo 3 theme must have been awesome.

Soldato
Right well the event isn't Microsoft hosted (London Games Festival). Video Games Live (The music) has nothing to do with Microsoft, they aren't even sponsored by them (edit, MS are affiliates) so the 360s they were giving out they would have bought.

So you have to forget everything you have said about why people booed them after all the cool stuff. Because they had no part in it. They were booed probably because it's a gaming event and it's going to filled with < 16 year olds who don't understand how much Microsoft actually put in to games.

Permabanned
OP
I dont know who invited everyone I got invited because my wife work(ed) for ELSPA (lol so I know exactly how they catch you internet piracy thieves and what happens next as she did it professionally!).

Permabanned
OP
Right well the event isn't Microsoft hosted (London Games Festival). Video Games Live (The music) has nothing to do with Microsoft, they aren't even sponsored by them so the 360s they were giving out they would have bought.

So you have to forget everything you have said about why people booed them after all the cool stuff. Because they had no part in it. They were booed probably because it's a gaming event and it's going to filled with < 16 year olds who don't understand how much Microsoft actually put in to games.

OK I stand corrected on that. Actually -- no -- Microsoft were a massive, MASSIVE part of the whole night .,.,

They had 40 xbox 360s setup. They DID sponsor it. It had lots and lots to do with Microsoft (the piano concertos all finished with the pianist playing the windows shutting down music on the piano!! :)

Microsoft donated the 360s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom