360 Vs. PS3 Update Size

Soldato
The 608mb MSPA update also includes 2 DLC packs (Speed/Adrenaline Packs). When you buy them, you only have to download a 100kb unlock file.

Kinda lame to be honest if you don't want the new packs.

Associate
OP
You started this thread comparing update sizes without saying what the updates actually were. This thread is flawed as you only mentioned exclusive game updates. If a update for a mutli-plat game was much larger on the ps3 than the 360, then you'd have a valid reason to complain.

:/

Your first reply was 'Buy a Wii', which indicates to me you are not willing to have a discussion on the topic.

You should take note of others comments who have posted some interesting experiences.

Anyway..

It seems the large updates 'could' be limited to exclusive titles. Then again, there is the point by 'anticonscience' that there was a 500MB difference for the same game.

Associate
ps3 bioshock was annoying for me loadsa drive space, took forever to download, and then took ages to apply and install....put me offa it unfortunatley and didnt play it properly.

will try again soon tho with it

Associate
OP
The Wii has no updates. It wouldn't insult you as much.

and I've more than enough posted helpful info in this thread.

I owned a Wii when they came out, and unfortunately they did a system update that no longer allowed me to play imported GameCube games with the freeloader disc.

So they do have updates, and thus 'Buy a Wii' has not been very helpful advice to me.

Associate
I owned a Wii when they came out, and unfortunately they did a system update that no longer allowed me to play imported GameCube games with the freeloader disc.

So they do have updates, and thus 'Buy a Wii' has not been very helpful advice to me.

I think his comment was meant in jest ;).

I would imagine this is to do with compression more than anything else.

Due to space restrictions on DVD I would imagine MS have taken more time to think about compression where as Sony having the Blu-Ray probably see compression quite low on their agenda.

However where bandwidth is always an issue and a cost I'd have thought that Both Sony and MS would have compressed their DL material and have a decompression process run on the console once the file is in place. Save a hell of a lot of money and time.

Man of Honour
Er... then it should be the other way around. 360 games should have larger patches as there is less space to store redundant data (This is done quite regularly actually if a game doesn't fill up a disc, random game assets and textures are left in and can be incorporated into new content) or to add in content that had to be left out due to storage limits.

Soldato
Er... then it should be the other way around. 360 games should have larger patches as there is less space to store redundant data (This is done quite regularly actually if a game doesn't fill up a disc, random game assets and textures are left in and can be incorporated into new content) or to add in content that had to be left out due to storage limits.

I think what he meant was that the 360 employs better compression algorithms due to using DVDs instead of the larger capacity blurays, this compression technique can then be carried across to DLC and arcade games thus reducing the download size. Dunno if it's the case at all mind.

Soldato
Now when i say this i'm trying very hard to avoid offending people, this is not a fanboy comment as the aforementioned xbox exclusive was not programmed by microsoft in any way and the studio that made it are notorious for leaving games unfixed but here we go....

Fable 2. Dear god that game was buggy, i've just played it through and over a year after release there are still several massive bugs to watch out for. For example i had to redo an entire quest (a long one at that) because the guy at the end of it outside the crucible wouldn't talk to me. Add to that several other bugs such as my character getting stuck in some form of default pose like you see in developer videos (arms out at length, legs straight down) twice, which required a restart of the game and several other niggles and i knew i was playing a lionhead game.

Would i rather have a several hundred MB patch to fix those things? Of course.

Again i'm not saying that it's anything to do with either console, it's more the fact that i like to see big patches that make major alterations to the game (for the better). I mean look at Killzone 2, the control scheme for that game was overhauled three times just to appease the fanbase and all sorts of other alterations and balance fixes have been applied over the past few months.

Don't even get me started on co-op.

Soldato
There is a difference. Every update takes an age on the PS3.

I think they have to keep them small on 360 because hard drives are not mandatory.

Caporegime
It must surely be to do with how the game is structured on the media. Again, Microsoft must have factored in some kind of method for small update patches right from the very beginning. Perhaps it's something to do with Blu-ray again why the PS3 always has larger updates. I noticed it on several games but especially Call of Duty: World at War.

It went along the lines of Xbox 360 - 30 seconds (so perhaps 10-20MB), on the PS3 - 30 minutes (600MB). And the even more ridiculous thing?? Going from first play to update 1.4 - 612MB, next day when I fired it up, patch 1.5 was ready. Did it just download a 2MB incremental? No! It had to download the original 612MB + a new 2MB making 614MB.

Now that is ridiculous.

Another example - Need for Speed Prostreet. MS has the Coca-Cola pack optional as DLC. Sony forced it in to a patch making you download 1.7GB before you could go online.

Caporegime
Pretty sure I remember reading once that unlike Microsoft Sony don't use file compression, which is pretty strange considering PSN is free.

Back
Top Bottom