Gaming keyboard and mouse?

Associate
Any recommendations please chaps? What's everyone using at the moment?

I don't really have a budget but I'd prefer not to spend £100 on a mouse that has a £40 equivalent that does the job just as well.

Associate
Hi Leviathon.

i mainly play RTS games, (command and conquer 3 usually), and a few first person shooters, left 4 dead and counterstrike when the mood takes me.

I use a seitek eclipse keyboard and a razer copperhead mouse.

It comes down to what is comfy for you and what you play.

Associate
I like how you say 'prefer' not to spend £100 on a mouse lol. In other words you would if you could or can be convinced too.

I did, and very happy with it;).

Keyboard I still use a Enermax Aurora aluminium one. Stopped making them or I cant find them, very good keyboard, normal keyboard but the build quality and keys are great.

Associate
yes i agree with jason its just what feels best for you,

Ive been using the kensington optical Orbit get for as little as £14 now

10033799.jpg

This mouse is awesome for me especially in FPS,

I originally got this mouse as it requies no movement on a mouse mat or on youre desk meaning that there is NO NOISE whatsoever just clicking!

which was a god sent to my mum & dad in the next room when all they could hear at 3am in the morning was me slapping my mouse around to medal of honor (that sounds wrong doesnt it?!?)

It takes a little getting used to, also there is no additional buttons on it, my only ever regret was losing my scroll button but 5 years later im on my 3rd mouse all identical and ive learned to put up with that!

oh and it greatly improves you're aiming in FPS as your fingers can move a lot quicker to roll the ball than it would be to physically move you're mouse to aim what a pain in the arm!

Soldato
Oh my god, another track ball user, I thought we were a dying breed :o I tried the Kensington Orbit but I didn't get on with at all, much prefer the Logitech Marble.

I don't use mine for gaming though, just desktop work, I use an MX518 for gaming, here are my rodents;

mice.jpg

As you can see, I use a Saitek Eclipse II also, which I'm very pleased with on the whole I must have had it a little over a year now I think.

So for a mouse, I recommend you find a good one that suits your hand, it's very important that it is comfortable for you to use for long periods of time. The usual suspects are all good, Razer Death Adder, Logitech MX518, Razer Diamondback, Microsoft Habu, etc.

Keyboards, hmmm well, to be honest I prefer a slightly more basic keyboard myself, I do like to have basic media controls, mainly volume and mute and I like back lighting myself, simply because I've gotten used to having it. But the most important thing really is that the keyboard is nice to type on, not that it has bells are whistles. The best keyboard I have ever used is the good old IBM Model M, to this day it's the king of keyboards for me.

The Saitek isn't a bad keyboard to type on, it's no Model M but it's a fair compromise if you want modern features and styling and back lighting etc, I prefer the key action and feel to the Logitech G series offerings and I really don't like Razer keyboards, they feel really cheap and nasty.

I recommend the Saitek, also check out the Logitech G series, you might like them, and the Microsoft models. If you aren't interested in back lighting then a good solid Cherry would probably do nicely.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments people.

At the moment I'm just using a bog standard MS mouse and keyboard. On my last gaming rig I was using a G11 with a Razer Lachesis. I thought the Lachesis was good but wasn't that impressed with the G11. I do like the look of that Razer Naga as I play a lot of MMO's, I wonder if it fairs well with FPS as well, if so I'm definately tempted.

Associate
This is still the best gaming mouse I've used (probably considered a bit old school now tho!) Certainly won't break the bank, and it's on THIS WEEK ONLY for just £22!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-060-LG

same mouse as mine excellent still miss my old mx800 but such is life

add to that a saitek eclipse and you cant go wrong

just spoted the trackerball omg that brings back memorys when i used to play cs soulsearcher used to use one of them excellent player as well

Soldato
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments people.

At the moment I'm just using a bog standard MS mouse and keyboard. On my last gaming rig I was using a G11 with a Razer Lachesis. I thought the Lachesis was good but wasn't that impressed with the G11. I do like the look of that Razer Naga as I play a lot of MMO's, I wonder if it fairs well with FPS as well, if so I'm definately tempted.

I don't think the naga will be great for FPS games tbh, it's too bulky.
I have my Lachesis for FPS games and I'll use my naga for MMO's, so I get the best of both worlds :p

Associate
TBH, go for the MX518 you won't be disappointed. It's a superb mouse for FPS games (If you play them) and is at great value as well. Personally, the razer mouses can't touch it.

Associate
I use a mamba mouse and tarantula keyboard, the build quality of razer products seam to be way ahead of the competition. Got a naga on pre order as well for RTS/MMOs.

Associate
Got the same question as leviathon here.

I'm leaning towards the G15 at the moment but don't have a clue about the mouse. Always used cordless and kind of like that but if theres a big improvement then I will switch. As for what I have now its a bog standard Microsoft cordless set that I picked up ages ago.

Soldato
Got the same question as leviathon here.

I'm leaning towards the G15 at the moment but don't have a clue about the mouse. Always used cordless and kind of like that but if theres a big improvement then I will switch. As for what I have now its a bog standard Microsoft cordless set that I picked up ages ago.

Cordless mice usually are pretty bad because of signal interferance. I stick with wired always, unless it's an expensive wireless mouse which has more sensors to prevent interferance.

Back
Top Bottom