Good acoustic songs to learn

Associate
Will be heading away for a week on friday and will be bringing along an acoustic and would appreciate any suggestions on a few decent songs to try out whilst drinking a few beers to hopefully keep everyone entertained. Muchos Gracias

EDIT - Already know some easy ones, such as Wonderwall, Save Tonight, hallelujah, etc but any suggestions appreciated.

Soldato
Found myelf with a hobbos guitar and 10 drunk people out on saturday night :D

Anyway must learns with a rating of how difficult they are form 1-5, 1 being the easiest

Snow Patrol - Run -2
Jason Mraz- I'm Yours -2
Rhianna- Umbrella-2
Coldplay- Yellow-2
Snow Patrol- Cars-2
The Verve- Drugs don't work-3
GnR- Knocking on Heavens Door-1
Coldplay- The Scientist-2
Radiohead- High and Dry-3

There's mine in case I ever need an acoustic singalong session :p

I need to learn more so I'd also love to hear some suggestions.

EDIT - Already know some easy ones, such as Wonderwall, Save Tonight, hallelujah, etc but any suggestions appreciated.

If you're playing this properly it's far from easy :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Get a busker's 'fake' book, a fake book is a book containing the bare essentials (chords, lyrics) to play and sing along to songs, sometimes they contain more information like vocal melodies, rhythms and specific guitar parts, but always the chords which is all you need really to strum along to some stuff around the fire! :D

Associate
OP
If you're playing this properly it's far from easy :p

Dont usually play it with a capo necause my acoustic is crap and buzzes when the capo is as high as the 5th fret lol. So i just have to play it open eg. C then Am, but play it with my own twist and at twice during the verse for instance instead of playing the G from the F "you dont really care for music do you", i just keep in the F position and slide up a few frets. Sounds confusing when i try to explain it like that lol.

Commissario
I understand what you mean Moobert!

Plus there's quite a few different ways that people play it, I wouldn't say there is a wrong or right way :)

Soldato
Ridiculously easy songs that anyone can play within 5 minutes:

Pearl Jam - Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town.
Cranberries - Zombie
Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

The last two are virtually identical, and the PJ song is just waaaaay too easy and sounds great.

Soldato
Check out a band called Nickel Creek if you're up for something different, in that they're not particularly mainstream in this country so might not keep your average radio listener happy who only wants to hear familiar songs, but they have a hell of a lot of catchy songs with some good guitar parts, stand out tracks: This Side, The Lighthouse's Tale, When You Come Back Down.

Soldato
Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead. Pretty simple too but might depress everyone.

Blackbird by the Bealtes is a really good one. Bit of finger-picking involved but once you nail it it sounds awesome. I'd say 4/10 difficulty for that one.

Soldato
More Than Words - Extreme..... should be in everyone's repertoire.
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

Thought of some more....

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Don't Speak - No Doubt
Hoppipolla - Sigur Ros (if you can fingerpick)
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Fields of Gold - Sting
With or Without You - U2
Jeux Interdits

Learning those should keep you busy :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Classical Gas - Tommy Emmanuel

A couple of good songs (rather than pieces) could be More Than Words by Extreme (a really nice guitar part) and some Nirvana tunes are great to play as well. :)

Associate
To be with you by Mr Big.
Lightning crashes by Live.
Sailing ships Whitesnake.
Nothing ever happens by Del amitri.
Burn for you by John Farnham.
Tragic comic by Extreme.

Back
Top Bottom