NAS HDD

Associate
Was lookin at getting

Western Digital 2TB My Book World Edition
mfr#: WDH1NC20000E

But then thought what aboutif it ****s up and thats quite a bit of data i would have lost =\ so if anyone has any other alternative options for the same ammount of storage~ for roughtly the same price if not more and will take it in to consideration and it will be my choice if i do loose the data xD. A friend recommended i get 2 1tb nas devices so i would only loose halve if i did.

Also does anyone know if this comes with twonky media since i will be using with the ps3's around the house?

Associate
Yeah, as gary says, you could get a decent NAS (here we go again, i keep plugging synology NAS devices recently!). You could then set up a RAID array, or if you splash out even raid 10 so that you get speed and reliability.

Associate
Yeah, as gary says, you could get a decent NAS (here we go again, i keep plugging synology NAS devices recently!). You could then set up a RAID array, or if you splash out even raid 10 so that you get speed and reliability.

This is the solution that I went for - I actually ended up with a Thecus N5200 PRO (£££), as I needed a huge datastore, along with iSCSI, but it might be worth taking a look into some of the 2-3 bay devices offered by them and also Qnap (as well as Synology I guess :))
FWIW, I've been going off Thecus a bit recently, as they've become a bit lax with some of their firmware updates for our enterprise devices at work, but other than that, it's all been good.

EDIT: Just to confirm, I've just read on the Qnap site that 'TwonkyMedia Server is available on TS-109, TS-209, TS-101, and TS-201' at the very least.

Last edited:
Associate
This is the solution that I went for - I actually ended up with a Thecus N5200 PRO (£££), as I needed a huge datastore, along with iSCSI, but it might be worth taking a look into some of the 2-3 bay devices offered by them and also Qnap (as well as Synology I guess :))
FWIW, I've been going off Thecus a bit recently, as they've become a bit lax with some of their firmware updates for our enterprise devices at work, but other than that, it's all been good.

What is your budget?

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS409/index.php

edit:woops, thought you were op XD, well the link stands regardless

Last edited:
Associate
Additionaly, I personally use enterprise drives in my NAS, but you could also get away with using consumer WD drives and disabling TLER (there's a util provided by WD to do this) before chucking them in the NAS.

Associate
Between the Synology and the Qnap 409, I'd feel the Synology would appear to be the better of the two yep :)
Does it run Twonky?

Indeed, I think you can, they actually hand out patches to give full SSH and Telnet access to the shell which is rather nifty.

Obviously there is no official support on this, but the forums and various sites around the internet are crammed with expertise on getting the programs to work on various Syno devices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom