Newbie to overclocking

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to overclocking ... I've taken delivery of the "Titan" I7 that is overclocked to 3.4ghz. I checked Windows 7 system details and it showed that it was running at 2.6ghz, so I downloaded and ran CPU-Z just to see what it reported.

Being new to overclocking, I was wondering if you could advise whether my machine is in-fact running at 3.4ghz (as from what I can tell, it's not).

CPU-Zscreencapture.jpg

Cheers
"Soundlab"

Permabanned
This is intel speedstep, its an energy saving feature, when your PC isnt running at full pelt it declocks itself by lowering the multiplier, when needed it will automatically put the multiplier back up to 20, as you see its 12 whilst in energy saving mode

Associate
OP
Ah, ok. Sounds like I need to read up on the i7 a bit more so that I can then understand how the overclocking will work :)

Thanks for your quick response - much appreciated.

Associate
Ah, ok. Sounds like I need to read up on the i7 a bit more so that I can then understand how the overclocking will work :)

If by that you mean when you yourself overclock it more, then there is no difference if you leave it on, you still overclock in the same way.

Associate
OP
No, it's more a case of understanding overclocking and the i7 a bit more. I have no intention of overclocking it further.

I bought it as an overclocked machine from OC (they were doing a deal last week on the Titan i7 machine) and have just installed Win 7 64-bit RC (got the home premium coming next month so thought I'd have a play with it now). Nosing around I noticed the clockspeed that was indicated by windows, so thought I'd try and find out more about it.

I've never had an overclocked PC before and (obviously) I'd like to know more about it.

Associate
OP
Just a quick follow-up on this. "Prime95" was mentioned to me as a good way of putting all of the cores under "stress" so that I could see what CPU-Z showed. I've done this and got the following:

CPU-Zscreencapture2.jpg

So, as suggested, the original capture just showed the processor being throttled back as it's not being stressed. Thanks again for the useful info.

Back
Top Bottom