• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Aopen MP45-DR CPU Woes - Advice Needed

Soldato
Hi Guys,

My HTPC is currently an Aopen MP45-DR which on the most part rocks. I have this hooked up to my network where I stream all my blu-ray rips.

I noticed the other day that on some 'intensive' blu-ray rips CPU load is considerably higher than on most of the other rips which is resulting in higher CPU temps and thus the CPU fan speeds up which is makes a little bit of an irritating whine.

My current CPU is a P8600. I'm considering replacing this with a T9800 as it has a faster clock speed, my wishful thinking is that due to the extra grunt of the CPU, hopefully temps will not rise as much resulting in no whiney CPU fan.

What concerns me though is that the Thermal Design Power is +10W for the T9800, does this matter at all?

Soldato
It means it'll get hotter and use more power. is it possible to cool down the case generally more? For example, if the northbridge is getting hot and heating up the CPU can you cool it down better?

Soldato
OP
Its a very compact unit with no additional space for cooling unfortunately.

The 'VID Voltage Range' on the T9800 is lower than that of the P8600, will that make any positive difference?

Back
Top Bottom