p35 DS4 and RAID 0

Associate
Guys

Pre-ordered Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, I have also treated my self to two shiny new WD Caviar Black 640GB's. Which after, and through a lot of research I settled for them. I prefer the 320GB platters, compared to the three 250GB of the 750GB Blacks (about the same price) and I could not afford two 1TB drives!
I am thinking about installing my new OS (when it arrives at the end of Oct) on the new drives striped in RAID 0.
Couple of questions how reliable and stable is a RAID 0 configuration? with it not being true RAID?
Will I benefit much from it?
Should I just go for the one HDD? and return the other?
I will leave my existing HDD Deskstar 500GB with XP on it, and have the dual boot option on startup, I will also use some of this drive to backup.

Thanks in advance.

PS: PC mailnly used for gaming, video editing and music.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can never have enough disk space. I've never ever used RAID on my home system so can't comment but for video editing having 3 drives can be handy. 1 drive for the OS, 1 drive for your source video and 1 drive for temp/encoded video ouput. This is what I do when encoding/re-encoding video. I've not done any real scientific tests but using 3 drives like this will I assume speed things up.

Back
Top Bottom