• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which GFX card.

Associate
I am looking at replacing my aging system and I am planing to go for an Phenom II x4 black 955 + the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

Now my question is, do I go for an HD 4870 or a GTX 260 ?

Also the last time I purchased a new gfx card was a ti4200 64mb rather than the 128mb version. Is there the same sillyness now ? buy the lower end card with less memory and get a better card ?

Soldato
Well they are both nearly exactly the same, both beat the other in differant games.

My advice would be to read some reviews and see how they perform in the games you play or are most likely to play and then buy the cheapest of that card. Both can be had for around £100, though the 260 is aa bit more expensive it's only by about £10. Both great cards, you will not be dissapointed whatever you decide on.

What res is your display by the way?

Memory isn't a problem, only ATI really does 512 and 1Gb versions any Nvid don't tend to have differant memory cards, basicaly more memory = better performance at higher resolutions, however I would say never eevn bother with a 512 card any more, just get the 1GB incase you ever want to upgrade the monitor.

Associate
OP
Because of budget limitations I will need to keep my existng 19" CRT's (high end for their time though). Ky kids and sticky fingers do not work well with TFT's
Max res would be 1600x1200

Soldato
Because of budget limitations I will need to keep my existng 19" CRT's (high end for their time though). Ky kids and sticky fingers do not work well with TFT's
Max res would be 1600x1200

Thats fine, as I said then get which ever you think is the most appropriate.

If you game get which ever plays best in those games and if you don't game get the cheapest one.

Basicaly one of these I would say:

Palit GeForce GTX 260

HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB

Associate
I have just bought a PowerColor 4890 when it was £121.

This now has a none reference cooler that is pretty quite and seems to keep the temps low.

For the extra £17 I would have recommended that over the 4870.

Unfortunately, the 'this week only' deal is over so it is back upto £127 but I would still consider that.

Or by a second hand 4890 for around £100 - plenty are beginning to pop up.

Cheers,

Nigel

AMG

AMG

Soldato
at lower res last time I looked the GTX260 was actruly ahead of the HD4870 than at HD and beyond than its the HD4870 but the gap is like 1% so close enough I would say neck and neck imo

this was months ago btw

Associate
They are pretty much level pegging, in honesty; go with whichever provides you with the best value. The 4890's are coming pretty low price wise and will outperform both the 260 and 4870, so give that a look.

Either way, you won't be disappointed with either card, though the 1gb of mem for your gpu sounds like a good idea.

Don
imo, the nvidia cards have the edge in the games that really push both cards..

ie Crysis, GTA4

Crysis/GTA4 can be unplayable in some situations on ATI.

games where ati 'win', nvidia do very well in anyway, ie L4D/TF2 etc

This is why I chose a 260

Soldato
Could I pick up a 2nd in October and crossfire them or would they need to match exactly ?

I pciked up min HD4890 for £123 NIB from a friend.

Oh, well then doesn't matter, probably won't go lower than 100 anyway.

Yes you can pick one up for CF, they don't need to match at call, most people usualy get the same cards due to clock reasons, so just look for something that is mostly the same.

Back
Top Bottom