Selling old PC components on eBay - anything to watch out for?

Associate
As above really...I've read through the relevant info on eBay, but is there anything that eBay probably won't mention that I should be wary of (I know there used to be a few scams revolving around PayPal abuse, but not sure of the current state of this).
Although having used eBay quite a few times over the past 5 years, I've never sold anything using the site before, so am a complete novice to it!
Thanks for your help all

Soldato
Make a note of all serial numbers before dispatch. Photograph them, showing their condition, with a proof of the date in the image (newspaper?). Photograph them in their dispatch packaging, and send recorded delivery at a minimum. Then cross your fingers. :D

Soldato
The only one that's affected me adversely was Paypal's random tendancy to withhold funds until you've received positive feedback from the buyer. Only hit me once, but it was very annoying as I'd only sold the item as I needed the money quickly. If I'd have known that was going to happen I wouldn't have used Paypal on that occasion.

Associate
Find out what the ebay fees are going to be, as they have put them up recently, and it almost makes it pointless to try and sell anything on there for the hassle.

Soldato
Basically start with small low value items and build up the experence to bigger more expensive stuff....

My real advise is just not too really, there's always a horror story about ebay and some of us have just gotten lucky around them

G J

G J

Associate
Make sure you send them using a recorded delivery service!!

This, also be wary of people asking for discounts off postage trying to get you to sent via non-trackable means.

Also people that pm you to end the auction early and do a 'deal' outside eBay

Commissario
This, also be wary of people asking for discounts off postage trying to get you to sent via non-trackable means.

Also people that pm you to end the auction early and do a 'deal' outside eBay

Can't echo this advice enough either!

Caporegime
With fees and postage it's almost worthless selling cheap stuff on there any more, expensive stuff is a possibility but watch out for scams.

For example with the cheap stuff. I sold a couple of small things on there recently (a network card and fan or something). Got £8 in all (for postage and sale fees), postage fees were almost more than the sale fees an only just covered costs. Then there's the £1.60 fee along with that, so in all I made about £3, after spending half an hour photographing and listing, and another half an hour at least packaging and walking to the post office. Not really worth the while tbh.

Caporegime
That's what price checks is for :) Or just search For Sale for similar items.

Yeah I just remembered there was a price check forum..:o Only problem is some of the stuff is more exotic lets say (old xeons for example) that I thought would sell on ebay but not here, turned out they wouldn't sell on ebay either...:p

Back
Top Bottom