Motorbike filtering...

Soldato
Why are cagers, sorry, car drivers so MEAN?

I just popped out on the bike to get some tobacco, was filtering through some traffic (urgh) and it got a little tight, so i stopped and looked over my right shoulder to the car behind me, he signalled to let me in, so I thanked and held my position until it was clear, traffic moving forward again, i kept between lanes as I knew the lights would go back to red before I could get to them.

The guy on my left in front saw me and literately pulled in closer to the right creating such a small gap, maybe a foot wide between him and a lorry in the right hand lane.... What is the point? He kept looking in his mirror all smug...

So as the traffic started rolling again, I simply mirrored him as I went past. Meaning yes, I was so outraged at this selfishness and stupidity I slung my left fist down and knocked his tacky mirror off his 'chav' pimped out corsa.

**** tbh.

Now, I don't know what it's like for cagers seeing bikers filter as I have a fear of driving cars and grew up around bikes, so no, I can't drive a car.

Seriously though, why did he do that? I wasn't sat there revving my engine or pushing through, I simply didn't want to squeeze so sat back until traffic started to flow again...

ARGH

ags

Soldato
OP
No, because the acne ridden 16 year old was acting like a child almost knocking me off my bike and causing an accident because what? No excuse...

Mirror was still hanging, so he didn't lose it, but serves him right in my eyes, if he had hit me and I had dropped my bike onto someone elses car then he would have been in a lot more trouble... IF he would have stopped that is, which is very unlikely.

ags

Soldato
Wow, that was an inappropriate action for a mildly irritating situation.

I'm not justifying his actions, but there's no way you can justify criminal damage - if you did that to my car I'd be down to the nearest police station with your reg number

Soldato
OP
I know, it was stupid and irrisponsible, should not have thrown a tempter like that. But it really does get to me, all these arrogant kids on the roads today.

ags

Associate
The attitude toward motorcyclists in this country is generally poor.

Elsewhere you will find car drivers much more considerate and helpful. In France for example, it's not too uncommon for car drivers to move over in their lane to allow you to filter past. Providing you recognise their gesture with a wiggle of your boot, everyone is happy.

It seems that us Brits can't bare to see someone else getting an advantage, particularly when it comes to driving.

Soldato
No, because the acne ridden 16 year old was acting like a child almost knocking me off my bike and causing an accident because he was jelous???

ags

From what you said, he stopped you from moving forward, not into you. Surely if you were filtering, you weren't moving anywhere near fast enough to have a problem braking?

I'm not a biker myself, but my dad is, i've been out plenty of times as a pillion. Yes you get the occasional time where some pillock is jealous and doesn't let you through, but that never gives you the excuse to cause criminal damage, if i were the driver, i'd have been straight to the nearest police station with your plates.

As Freefaller said, it's bikers like you that give the rest of them a bad image.

Soldato
I know, it was stupid and irrisponsible, should not have thrown a tempter like that. But it really does get to me, all these arrogant kids on the roads today.

ags

Do you not think the arrogant chavs in their corsas annoy other drivers too? I dont plough into the back of them whenever they cut me up.

Soldato
I agree way over the top response, I've only ever come close to assaulting a car and thats when they neraly killed me, not for just blocking me.

although having just got back from France and Spain I must admit the attitude to bikers there is so enlightened compared with the UK

Soldato
OP

Elsewhere you will find car drivers much more considerate and helpful. In France for example, it's not too uncommon for car drivers to move over in their lane to allow you to filter past. Providing you recognise their gesture with a wiggle of your boot, everyone is happy.

It seems that us Brits can't bare to see someone else getting an advantage, particularly when ir comes to driving.

I agree, spent a week in france on the bike several months back, it was bliss, everyone was polite, at some points talking to people in their cars at lights having a laugh! Even to the point of them pointing us in a direction of a decent road!

I never push my limits when filtering, if someone doesnt want to let me through, I don't mind. But no need to move into the middle of 2 lanes just to prove that point.

I always thank car drivers for giving me a little hand in passing by. It's a nice and polite thing, a lot of respect to those who do it. Although, if you see a biker shake his head after passing its probably because you just kicked up a huge stone/dust cloud pulling over on a country lane to let him pass lol.

ags

Man of Honour
The reason he blocked you is because many car drivers are small minded idiots who dislike motorcyclists.

Nice to see you did everything to justify his dislike and prejudice against motorcyclists.

Associate
This happens a lot in the city, just have to put up with it I'm afraid. Some do it on purpose, some simply don't look in their mirrors and want to see ahead of traffic or they want to change lanes without signalling.

if I had knocked off all of their wing mirrors there would be a lot of cars, taxis, vans etc... in London unable to see behind them.

Man of Honour

It seems that us Brits can't bare to see someone else getting an advantage, particularly when it comes to driving.

Yup spot on - I don't get it :(

I agree way over the top response, I've only ever come close to assaulting a car and thats when they neraly killed me, not for just blocking me.

although having just got back from France and Spain I must admit the attitude to bikers there is so enlightened compared with the UK
Agreed. the only time I've actually (foolishly) laid hands on someone, was an immediate response to fear for my life. I was visibly shaking when interviewed by the police (no charges and was completely absolved.)

[TW]Fox;14861606 said:
The reason he blocked you is because many car drivers are small minded idiots who dislike motorcyclists.

Nice to see you did everything to justify his dislike and prejudice against motorcyclists.

I agree with both statements. It's a sad truth. :(

Soldato
OP
He probably did get my plate, but judging by the attitude, stench of smoke coming out of the car, looks of his car, cheapness and lack of class/manors, I can only assume his intellect is lower than average therefore no memory what so ever.

ags

Man of Honour
It is not the car drivers responsibility to watch out for bikes filtering, filtering is an at-risk activity (especially when it involves creating an extra lane) with the onus and responsibility on the motorcyclist for the safety of the movement.

I'm amazed at how many bikers do not realise this.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14861606 said:

Very well said - criminal damage was completely unjustified and will do nothing to help bikers' public image, especially not in the eyes of the driver involved

Soldato
To all car drivers.

PLEASE bear in mind we're not all like this... please? :(

Too late...

I'm going to reach out my window and pull off the wing mirror of the next motorcyclist I see ;)

(I appreciate sarcasm doesnt come across well here, and a lot of people miss the point even when it does - but the above statement was a joke)

Back
Top Bottom