PAYG mobile broadband - newb, tell me more :)

Soldato
This is for a friend, she's split with her husband is cancelling everything for the house (phone, ADSL etc) ready to just move once the place sells.

She thus wants a stopgap. I'm a firm believer that wired is best but I understand where she's coming from as a temp solution.

Now, I know little about mobile broadband. Where I work we sell 3 mobile PAYG kits in 3, 6 and 12gb sizes... But, I don't know a thing about them :D

So... are they decent solutions? When they say PAYG, is it just a case of once you've hit 3 gig for example, you top up for more data? Does anyone know if the costs are far higher than say a monthly contract for similar amounts of data download limits and so on? Why are the "starter kits" in varying "sizes" and are their price differences in tarriffs dependant on what kit you buy?

Just how slow are these things too? Any recommended networks?

I just wanna help her out a bit so she can decide what to do and learn something new for myself in the process. Thanks all :)

Associate
With 3 PAYG mobile broadband ... the top up last for 30 days so if you don't use the allocated allowance before they 30 days they it disappears. The 12Gb starter kits that we sell is a one of payment and last for 12 months.

I would suggests getting the Vodafone PAYG Mobile Broadband, currently we sell them for £35 but it comes preloaded with £15 1Gb allowance with no expiry date. They're slightly more expensive but if your friend doesn't use the internet much then the 1Gb will last her a few months (depending on usage)

Soldato
OP
Ta for the reply :)

I'll have to go on the retrospective websites and have a further look into costs as I don't fully understand it all as I say. I gather Voda will give better results signal/speed wise from a very brief search. I think it's mainly for emails, general browsing etc rather than downloading much stuff so she may not need a huge download limit so will have a nosey around.

Thanks again :)

Associate
I've got PAYG MB sim cards from the 3 main providers. The USPs are pretty much as follows:
O2: operates flexible tariffs (daily (500MB), weekly (?GB) + monthly (3GB)
Vodafone: 3GB for £15, but doesn't expire (as long as you use it once every 180 days)
Three: Most GB for £

Can get Quidco with all 3, which will reduce any outlay for the dongle.

Soldato
OP
Cheers chaps, I'll google whatever quidco is lol. I'll also go on the sites tomorrow when I get some proper time to look at rates and initial costs. We sell "starter kits" of 3G dongles with x gigs of data transfer on, is this the same for most other brands? I've no idea where's best to buy/look for them.

Back
Top Bottom