[space] Stephen Hawking in His Own Words: Origin of the Universe

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Many of us like space and anything to do with space so here's a very nice writeup on a lecture held by Hawking explaining a hell of a lot of stuff about the universe in a easy to digest way.

Extract:
We have made tremendous progress in cosmology in the last hundred years. The General Theory of Relativity, and the discovery of the expansion of the universe, shattered the old picture of an ever existing, and ever lasting universe. Instead, general relativity predicted that the universe, and time itself, would begin in the big bang. It also predicted that time would come to an end in black holes. The discovery of the cosmic microwave background, and observations of black holes, support these conclusions. This is a profound change in our picture of the universe, and of reality itself.

Full article from source

Mind still blown? :p

Associate
I'm a big fan of Hawking. Brief History of Time was just amazing. Favourite quote of his from the book is: 'why does the Universe go to all the bother of existing?' He basically realises that science cannot provide an answer to this.

Btw, your source is about the 9/11 terrorist attacks, is that right?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
It's an awesome question I guess, I mean what purpose does the universe have for existing? it's a mind blowing question (sorry to repeat!).

Soldato
It's an awesome question I guess, I mean what purpose does the universe have for existing? it's a mind blowing question (sorry to repeat!).

Not to put too fine a point on it, but why does there need to be a purpose?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
There doesn't but if you look around you'll see that every single thing within the universe has a purpose once formed so it's only fair to assume that the universe itself has a purpose, surely? But then if the universe itself has a purpose that would indicate it in itself is part of a larger structure where this purpose comes from and then there's that structure itself, what purpose does that have? a structure beyond that structure maybe?

But then what p.....:D

Soldato
There doesn't but if you look around you'll see that every single thing within the universe has a purpose once formed so it's only fair to assume that the universe itself has a purpose, surely? But then if the universe itself has a purpose that would indicate it in itself is part of a larger structure where this purpose comes from and then there's that structure itself, what purpose does that have? a structure beyond that structure maybe?

Everything has a purpose? I'd disagree. All things have a function, inherent to their nature. Purpose implies some kind of cognitive ability, which clearly not everything has.

Soldato

Counter example: wasps. What purpose do those vile creatures known as wasps serve? Another one: tapeworms. What purpose do they serve?

Soldato
Counter example: wasps. What purpose do those vile creatures known as wasps serve? Another one: tapeworms. What purpose do they serve?

What purpose do humans serve?

EDIT: Is the link in the OP actually working for anyone else? All it leads me to is some pictures from the trade tower collapse.

Soldato

what? thats mad, there is no purpose, the sun is not there to warm the earth or to have things orbiting it.. its just there it has no purpose... things happen to orbit it because of the laws of physics... we happen to be the right distance from it for life to exist...

unless you mean purpose in some sence I do not get?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I didn't mean on earth directly because what is on earth has no bearing on how the universe works, we're merely a spec, if even that. I meant as within the universe - as in comets, asteroids, stars, galaxies etc - they all have some kind of purpose don't they, be it to deposit ingredients that could start life on a planet's surface or to bring end to extinction to another.

The sun had no purpose, it now has a purpose because of our solar system forming and it itself from a totally random series of events (which is what the universe is) it's purpose (I guess you could say function...maybe purpose is too strong a word...) now is to keep our solar system running for the next few billion years.

Edit*

I guess we take the words purpose and function in different light :p

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest, the whole premise of existence, the universe and space, just utterly bowls me over.

I have no doubt in my mind that other intelligent life exists somewhere out there... I just don't know if we will ever find out about it in our life times.

Also, space is infinite right? HOW?!!?!
I need to understand! :mad:

Man of Honour
The Duck Billed Platypus.

Stumped now aren't ya.

It shows that God has a sense of humour, that's a perfectly good purpose isn't it? ;)

Although being slightly more serious I'm not sure that everything has a purpose in the sense that we think of as having a guiding intelligence creating it or guiding it in a direction. It is quite possible for some things to exist simply because they exist or to put it another way they might exist purely because there is nothing that has stopped them existing i.e. if you have enough potential inputs then all possibilities could eventually occur.

Back
Top Bottom