New Harddrive recomendations please

Soldato
not being very knowledgable about HDD i'm after some advise really.

At the moment i have an F1 750gb but lately it is starting to become cluttered and slow so is in need of a format etc.

I've got Win7 arriving at then end of next month too so was going to trat myself to a SSD but i'm unsure what size i would require or what is best.

Budget could be more as i'm off to America in Oct so could pick one up there a bit cheaper. failing that i'll say £150 maybe slightly more. Is that a realistic price?

then i could use my F1 as storage for games, music, films etc.
But what programmes would need to be on the SSD to get the best out of it

Soldato
I got an 80GB intel, formats to 74GB and I've used ~60GB.
Win7 and common apps takes up around 13GB, Rest is games.

I've basically enough space to have 5 big games installed at any point in time, with at least 10GB breathing room, which is enough for me.

All Music, Images and Videos are kept on mechanical drives in my file server (which is hidden away where I can't hear it). When i want to install a new game I just cut and paste an old game install directory onto my file server, I get 100MB/s transfer speeds over my network, so a most big games only take around a minute or two to shift back and forth if I decide to play something else (I am a little limited here by 80MB/s Write speed on my Intel), much quicker than reinstalling. You'll get the same sort of performance from your local F1.

I'm loving it, most games load at least twice as fast as they did on my old setup with a Samsung F1 320GB. Windows is very snappy to use too.

Basically it all comes down to your budget, If you've got the cash to get 128GB or 256GB you pretty much won't have to worry about space for games (If you're keeping media on your F1), But 64GB or 80GB is perfectly viable if you don't mind waiting 90 seconds before you can play something you've moved off the drive.

Last edited:
Associate
I have got the crucial ssd, 128 version, gotta say I am impressed indeed, a few issues with firmware and the like but my god its fast. People tend to forget windows 7 is a beta and will not be officially supported for a while yet. I have put all media etc on a 1TB WD Green, and install main apps on the SSD, works a treat.

Soldato
I have got the crucial ssd, 128 version, gotta say I am impressed indeed, a few issues with firmware and the like but my god its fast. People tend to forget windows 7 is a beta and will not be officially supported for a while yet. I have put all media etc on a 1TB WD Green, and install main apps on the SSD, works a treat.

W7 left beta ages ago. The final has been out for about a month.

Back
Top Bottom