clocked car

Soldato
ive always said you cant trust traders

a guy on another board, like me, was really proud of his pretty high mileage car. he was past 250k, and then he sold the car

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130327845256&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

days later it is spotted for sale, by a trader, with a 110k mile haircut

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...icleYearOfManufacture=1998&vehicleRegLetter=R

thread about it here
Removed link because of swearing!

bit sad really, but id never trust a trader at all

Man of Honour
I encountered this once when looking for my 530. Spotted a 5 year old Y plate at auction. Traced its history via BMW and found it had perfect Full BMW history up to its current mileage of 145k.

Thought I'd bid but when it came to it the exterior was in pretty crap condition, it was all motorway miles but motorway miles in true BMW style, at 1 foot from the car in front hoovering up stonechips.

2 weeks later the same car appeared at a trader with 90k miles, a full independant service history, a resprayed bumper and bonnet and a £10995 price tag.

Awesome.

Associate
this sort of thing happens everywhere, one of my mates was looking for a mk4 golf tdi, put deposit down then thought better do a hpi to make sure, car was clocked back about 70000, guy ran off with his deposit. Next car he goes to buy did a hpi check first and suprise suprise clocked again. cant trust anyone these days,

Man of Honour
As long as people continue to think mileage is the most important thing in the universe, crooks will continue to buy really good condition high mileage cars and give the people what they want - a low number on the odometer above everything else..

Soldato
OP
its up for double the price as well. the car has had all the consumables replaced so it probably drives just about right but idiots obsessed with low mileage will lap it up

Permabanned
My old ST will be a clockers wet dream, the car felt and looked like a car that had done 30k miles.It stood at 92k when it went back, if an 'ordinary' car ;ike that can stand up well to high mileage, I dread to think how much moon mileage kraut mobiles get clocked by.

Funny thing is, technology has actually made them easier to clock.It wasnt meant to be that way when digital speedo's were launched!

Soldato
OP
My old ST will be a clockers wet dream, the car felt and looked like a car that had done 30k miles.It stood at 92k when it went back, if an 'ordinary' car ;ike that can stand up well to high mileage, I dread to think how much moon mileage kraut mobiles get clocked by.

Funny thing is, technology has actually made them easier to clock.It wasnt meant to be that way when digital speedo's were launched!
my golf is on 211k miles. enginewise it sounds just like a 140k mile engine, which sounds just like a 100k mile engine.

the seats look like the day i bought the car, when it had 140k.

im not going to clock the car, it has an amazing service history and im dead proud of the number of miles its done

Back
Top Bottom