A Few Projector Questions

Soldato
Hello good folk,

I've been thinking about getting a bigger tv for a while (32" -> 52") but recently stumbled across the idea of a projector instead. Some of the threads on here have lead to that. :p

Unfortunately I know a bit about televisions and even less about projectors, so I've got a few questions if a few of you wouldn't mind helping me out.

• My room is 3.8m x 3m - I will be projecting across the longest part of that and was thinking a 92" screen would be reasonable?

The projector and chair would be at two opposite ends of the room (each side of 3.8m) and the projector would have to 'throw' around 3.2m (room length minus depth of projector and amount screen will sit out from the wall).

• As the projector screen (motorised) would be installed infront of a wall where there is a door, I'll have to install into the ceiling. Am I right in thinking that the screen mount screws into the ceiling beams of the house?

I'll not be installing it myself (It would be hanging off and on fire if I attempted it) but I could only really find info on mounting the projector itself, which I won't be attempting.

• I'm seeing lots of projector screens at variable prices. I'm unsure of what the 'going rate' is for a good projector screen. From what I've been reading a good screen is important so obviously I don't want to get this one wrong, but at the same time I don't want to pay more than I should just because it has some extra marketing rubbish. Anything in particular to look out for?

• Going from a TV with at least 3 HDMIs into a projector with 2 or even 1 is never easy. But I gather an AV Receiver (never used one before) can input the likes of several HDMI connections (and others) and it outputs via one HDMI (video) which can go straight into the projector. The AV Receiver then acts as the 'video switcher' as well as the audio output (surround) for what the projector is displaying via its one HDMI input?

I'll likely keep my normal 32" television for everything other than movies and games (PS3) so I don't run up too much unappreciated screen time on the bulb.

I think that's everything for now - would appreciate any answers to those questions. Some are probably very fundamental but they're the ones that tend to get lost on the heavy tech sites. :)

Man of Honour
Depending on the projector 92" might be doable - tho you might be looking at closer to 80" for optimal picture at that throw distance.

Not sure on the mounting as I don't use a motorised screen.

Getting a good projector is crucial - for 720p I'd use the Optoma HD700 series as a benchmark for features and price - so around £400-500. For 1080p then probably £800-1000. Don't be tempted by cheaper non home cinema projectos if you want to use it for movies and gaming as you will be dissapointed.

Soldato
  • My room is 3.8m x 3m - I will be projecting across the longest part of that and was thinking a 92" screen would be reasonable?

The projector and chair would be at two opposite ends of the room (each side of 3.8m) and the projector would have to 'throw' around 3.2m (room length minus depth of projector and amount screen will sit out from the wall).

92" Is easily doable at that distance, infact I'd be tempted to say its a bit small! I have mine at 106" at about 12' viewing, and its just right. Will be eventually upgrading to bigger purely for 2.35:1 material. Look into good LCD projectors, will give you much more flexibility in placement and throw.

• As the projector screen (motorised) would be installed infront of a wall where there is a door, I'll have to install into the ceiling. Am I right in thinking that the screen mount screws into the ceiling beams of the house?

Thats right yes, straight into the joists above. If you cant line up the screen with some conveniently placed joists, you want to 'join' two together with a block of wood to make somewhere to screw into.

I'll not be installing it myself (It would be hanging off and on fire if I attempted it) but I could only really find info on mounting the projector itself, which I won't be attempting.

The same applies for both projector and screen really, find joists, get everything squared up.

• I'm seeing lots of projector screens at variable prices. I'm unsure of what the 'going rate' is for a good projector screen. From what I've been reading a good screen is important so obviously I don't want to get this one wrong, but at the same time I don't want to pay more than I should just because it has some extra marketing rubbish. Anything in particular to look out for?

Unfortunately there is a huge range of screens and screen materials! I can only suggest deciding on a rough budget and sticking to it, you can really buy to any budget. Cheap eBay motorised screens work well enough, but don't expect the motors to last very long. Avoid glass beaded screens also. Its also worth looking into grey 'High Contrast' materials if your using it in a room with light walls/ceiling.

• Going from a TV with at least 3 HDMIs into a projector with 2 or even 1 is never easy. But I gather an AV Receiver (never used one before) can input the likes of several HDMI connections (and others) and it outputs via one HDMI (video) which can go straight into the projector. The AV Receiver then acts as the 'video switcher' as well as the audio output (surround) for what the projector is displaying via its one HDMI input?

AV Reciever makes things an awful lot easier, and fortunately even the cheapest entry level units from sony/onkyo/yamaha etc. provide the functionality you'll need.

I'll likely keep my normal 32" television for everything other than movies and games (PS3) so I don't run up too much unappreciated screen time on the bulb.

Good Plan.

I think that's everything for now - would appreciate any answers to those questions. Some are probably very fundamental but they're the ones that tend to get lost on the heavy tech sites. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, clears a few things up. :)

Size wise, I'm not 100% sure. I had originally looked at a 106" screen but when I measured it out, it seemed massive. I'd prefer the bigger screen without doubt but at the same time, I don't want it to look silly big.

As I've no real grasp of how it'll look - I wasn't too sure whether it would get too big at the distance I'm at.

Well I had set aside about £1500 for a new TV so my budget would be around that. I'd probably extend it to £2k given the extra things I'd have to buy (specifically speakers and an AV Receiver).

Projector wise I'm thinking a budget around £1000 and definitely 1080p. Is it generally considered good practice to have your AV equipment beside the projector or does it not really matter? I assume either the TV or Projector will be the one receiving a rather long HDMI cable regardless.

Man of Honour
I honestly would reccomend a projector...

I still haven't got over the novelty of a 100" screen a couple of years later... once mine was calibrated I was even more impressed.

Does depend a lot on the projector but IMO you need atleast 12 feet throw to really get 100" or so decently...

Associate
Get the projector first. Once set up then work out what size screen you want/are comfortable with. Whilst generally bigger is better you don't want to find yourself in a position where you've got to move your head to take in all the screen. :D

I'm just in the last stages of getting my garage converted to a dedicated home cinema room (electric final fix on monday :p). I'm taking my own advice with getting the PJ setup before committing to a specific size screen.

Associate
With a 2x zoom projector (Sanyo PLV-Z700 used for calcs) you'll have a max screen size of 112" if you can get a throw of 3.4m (screen against wall, projector lens 16" from wall). 106" max at a 3.2m throw.

I'm in the process of making a 91" fixed screen for my PJ and it takes up most of the wall (same width as yours), there's only a small amount either side for the speakers. I'll post a screenshot of my mockup in a minute.

edit:

WRT to the HDMI switching, you may want to look for a receiver with 2 HDMI outputs or factor in the cost of an external splitter if you want the same feed going to both displays.

Throw calc: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z700-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I definitely think anything bigger than 92" would be overkill. I've measured it time and time again and a 106" eats up the entire wall. I can't imagine it would be enjoyable to watch - infact I think it would require side head movements, it would be that big!

Definitely good advice to go with the projector first before the screen, I had read that somewhere but it had exited my head when I made the thread.

The Sanyo PLV-Z700 had caught my eye as well - was reading a few reviews which said that Sanyos are not usually as bright as other projectors though. Probably will need to do a good bit of research before buying one.

Man of Honour
Optoma HD700 is a good benchmark entry HD projector - DLP + DarkChip2/3 - tho they usually can do with a little calibrating out the box.

IMO 80-92" is much better at 10-12foot throws as image quality and color/brightness is better and the gap between pixels isn't noticeable...

Associate
The most important thing you need to do is go demo some projectors. The optoma DLP projectors being reccomended are great IF you don't see the rainbow effect IF you do ( or those making regular use of it ) they are a waste of time and your better looking into the LCD / LCOS projectors

Soldato
OP
The most important thing you need to do is go demo some projectors. The optoma DLP projectors being reccomended are great IF you don't see the rainbow effect IF you do ( or those making regular use of it ) they are a waste of time and your better looking into the LCD / LCOS projectors

I've read a bit about the rainbow effect. It seems some people don't mind it but it would definitely annoy me.

Unfortunately the places around here don't even plug their televisions into a HD source - how they sell HD sets with a coaxial input, I don't know, but it doesn't seem to be affecting sales otherwise that wouldn't be the case.

Not really sure if or where I could get a demo or anything similar. I've always found Mainland UK to be better for that type of thing. Anyone in NI who drops by can maybe suggest some places? :p

Cheers for the screen size advice, Rroff. I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and take the advice above by getting a projector first but maybe smaller might be better. Time shall tell.

Back
Top Bottom