Derren Brown - outdone himself this time?

Associate
I do like Derren Brown and realise he's exremely knowledgeable in what he does and everything, but tonight's programme itself was a bit disappointing, as he didn't really explain any of the techniques/phenomena in enough detail for anyone to go out and test themselves, nor did we find out precisely what it was he did (or didn't do) to predict the results. The ending was good, albeit misleading, though I gather that was his intention.

His next programme sounds vastly more interesting, and am looking forward to it.

Associate
doesn't he do something similar in the live shows where he gets people to pick a "random" number and then they add 4 of them together and it comes up with todays date or summat?

The whole show tonight was obviously a bluff. He has in no way explained how it was done, even if the law of averages thing has some merit in it, the average wouldn't be 6 exact whole numbers.

The whole thing with the group has been filmed since Wednesday and is utter twaddle.

He is a very clever man and the show is a masterclass in marketing if nothing else.

The numbers were put on the balls after the draw, it's that simple.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
to be honest, i wouldnt be impressed with next week's show either, if he can make the nation stick to their sofa there won't be anything surprising about that as most of the nation are a bunch of bleedin couch potatoes anyway.

Soldato
Pretty disappointing. I still don't think camera tricks, but then again, I don't buy what he's just said either.

Still, enjoyed the build up, the actual lottery prediction, and semi-enjoyed tonight. Not bad I guess; no respect lost, but certainly none gained.

This. I still say camera tricks aren't his style, and I was fully expecting after the show that I wouldn't be able to try what he said.

When I've seen his stuff I'm either left seriously impressed that he managed to think out a method to do it, or left wondering how he did it in the first place, or just impressed by his talent. Not the case for this. Disappointing indeed.

Still, the next show looks like it should be good from the preview for it, more of his better stuff I hope!

Associate
to be honest, i wouldnt be impressed with next week's show either, if he can make the nation stick to their sofa there won't be anything surprising about that as most of the nation are a bunch of bleedin couch potatoes anyway.

He already managed to make most of the people in this thread stick to their sofas for an hour tonight!

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
He already managed to make most of the people in this thread stick to their sofas for an hour tonight!

Indeed, on next week's show he's gonna open it by saying, well I told you you'd stick to your sofas and you did just that for an hour last week, believing the BS I was spewing out :D

Soldato
I very much doubt he used camera tricks / or effects, it's just not part of what his shows are about.

why do people keep saying that. thats exactly what hes about. miss direction. hes just miss directed the whole nation into thinking he either used the crowd method or that he fixed it.

the only real option to guessing the lottery balls is trickery which would have have to been something like splitscreen or cgi. theres mathematically and physically no other way. it all adds up too since he refused to show the guess. he refused to show the guess because there wasnt one

well unless those 24 people and him where just really really really lucky

Last edited:
Soldato
doesn't he do something similar in the live shows where he gets people to pick a "random" number and then they add 4 of them together and it comes up with todays date or summat?

Yeah he's done a few things like that, I think he must influence them to chose certain numbers or something, but with that he is aiming for a known goal. With this he won't have known what he was after so he couldn't use the same technique here.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
and there's the point that if his method shown tonight was true, camelot would be out of a lot of pocket these next coming weeks as business would be on hold as company employees would be working around the clock in groups of 24 trying to crack the week's forthcoming lottery result :D

Soldato
Absolutely brilliant, couldn't of hoped for anything more. Absolute Derren brown at his best. Brilliant show. Loved both the solutions, very believeable. I actually thought it was camera trickery from the very start, now I don't. Lol at the people who still do.

Don't know if I'm gonna take part in the sofa thing next week, seems scary.

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Absolutely brilliant, couldn't of hoped for anything more. Absolute Derren brown at his best. Brilliant show.

An hour of telling us how he didn't win the lottery... hummmm I'd have been more impressed if he had just TOLD us how it was done, slight of camera/mind/psychology ... whatever! :)

Associate
I look forward to everyone next week saying how they could stand up when he said they couldn't. What a bunch of mugs us public are.

Wonder if that will be the theme of this series. 7 deadly sins. First based on greed, 2nd based on sloth, 3rd maybe Wrath based on hearing hes gonna steal someones money.

Soldato
I think that whole show was bs. I'll remain thinking it was a split screen trick. I'm not falling for the stuff he said about taking the average numbers.

lets get everyone on this thread to test his theory? then find averages lol.

Back
Top Bottom