"Classic" games you still play

Caporegime
By classic I mean old...

I still really enjoy Close combat: A bridge too far, a nice 2D strategy game that doesn't need all those 3D bells and whistles. I think it first came out in 1997 but the graphics still look good (well it is 2D). The suspense and anguish are still there, when you are towards the end of a campaign and you're running out of men, fighting with every last man against a weakened enemy, or playing with loads of men as reinforcements come in, flying through a few maps before the Germans get tanks and rip them all to shreads, or at those times when there are 3 enemy tanks and only one anti tank team left, the suspense is extreme.:p

I'm also just trying to install Port Royale 2 again, haven't played it in ages, it's not as old as CC but pretty good still. It's a trade game where you make your fortune by buying and selling from one port to another, or just becoming a pirate.:D

So, what old games are you playing at the moment?

Soldato
I still play Tetris, I'm trying to get hold of a classic gameboy so I can play it in Green mode but that requires effort so the GB SP will do for now, Still the best strategy puzzler ever made!

Soldato
Play galaxians on the psp when i have a blind moment.

Best computer pinball sim (timeshock) holds residence on my laptop. Raiden on the ps3, my base system has too many to mention:)

Soldato
i wanna play GTA1 but i wanna find a way of saving the game first

i think with gta 1 you have to complete the level in one go to 'save'
but you can save in gta 2 if you go back to the point you started at where you can save for $50,000 :)

as for classic games, i don't play any of them anymore but i do have xcom - apocolypes installed onto steam as they had that offer on the one day... and i would like to play something like diablo 1 or 2 but i have overplayed these games, and have yet to find a game that really beats them

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I still play Tetris, I'm trying to get hold of a classic gameboy so I can play it in Green mode but that requires effort so the GB SP will do for now, Still the best strategy puzzler ever made!

I still have one of the yellow gameboys lying around somewhere.:D

age of the empires 2

always fun building loads of castles

That's a good game too, had the demo but never got the full game. I always played Red alert instead.

Caporegime
Command & Conquer is probably the oldest game I play. Those GDI missions get hard near the end. It's amazing how Joe Kucan hasn't even aged in the more modern games! Apart from that one, I sometimes have the odd bash on Resident Evil 2, running around as Tofu with the knife is hilarious. :D

Soldato
Command & Conquer is probably the oldest game I play. Those GDI missions get hard near the end. It's amazing how Joe Kucan hasn't even aged in the more modern games! Apart from that one, I sometimes have the odd bash on Resident Evil 2, running around as Tofu with the knife is hilarious. :D

resi 2 is a classic, used to be one of my favorite games on the PSX, at the start of the game i used to like playing the 'can you run past every zombie leading up to the police station without getting caught once' game :D

Soldato
I still play Broken Sword about once a year. :)

Yeahhh thats awesome! :D Think its time to configure scumm vm or dosbox to relive it all over again! (first is the best one)

I still play Pharaoh a fair bit as some of the mid to later levels I never finished (as they were pretty epic), same for age of empires 2 (and one some times). Might put Bradfords rise through the championship on hold (and any pokemon dreams) for some classic rts/city building and point and click classic-ness :cool:

(Discworld is the other one i like to revisit every so often, just wish i still had my discs for the second one instead of leaving them with an ex)

Man of Honour
Port Royale 2 is worth buying today. You can get it from GOG for $10.

Don't get it unless you have hours of spare time, though. It's very much not a casual game.

I still play Duke Nukem 3D. That's on GOG for $6. I suggest the fan-made high resolution pack and the original music recorded by someone who has the orginal music hardware that 3D Realms designed the music for. You can use eduke32 and replace the generated music (soundblaster 16 emulator, if I recall correctly) with the oggs of the music as it was intended.

Soldato
What with Starcraft 2 out next year I gave Starcraft and Broodwars a play through, I actually never completed Broodwars so it was well worth it. They are both very playable and put some newer RTS games to shame.

Caporegime
OP
Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Still good fun :D

My dad completed the Allied missions once, the later ones are damn difficult! I love playing the multiplayer, create a map where you can set up a fortress, then stick walls, mines, wire and pill boxes/tesla coils. Problem is i've only ever played it against the computer, so never been attached much.:p

Another game I love is Cossacks, haven't played that in a while actually, was a really good game as well, although the multiplayer AI was useless as well.:(

Port Royale 2 is worth buying today. You can get it from GOG for $10.

Don't get it unless you have hours of spare time, though. It's very much not a casual game.

What's GOG?

Yeah that's my worry, it's on of those games you start at noon, and suddenly realise it's 4 in the morning... I guess I have nothing better to do with my time at the moment... If you don't see me on here for a few days you know what i'll be doing.:o:p

Have you played all the senarios or just the free play? I normally just do the free play, although some of the scenarios are good for getting starting ships (ships of the line mostly:D).

Soldato
GalCiv 2, but I'm not sure how old that really is. For the truly aged, Chrono Trigger and FFV (probably my favourite bar VII).

What I'd really love to play again is an old RPG I have called Silver. Anyone play this? How can I run this in Win7?

Edit: Oh, and quake. I play this about once a year. Never completed it on Nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom