1366 mobo ?

Associate
I was getting an ASUS P6T SE as part of a trade but the douche bag went ahead and pulled out on me after I ordered the rest of the components. What have i learnt from this ? -not to be so trusting of people, sad world we live in eh?

Anyway, I now have an i7 920 and Patriot Viper 3x2GB (which i notice are now both on TWO, just my luck :rolleyes: ) and no mobo to finish it off.
The three Im looking at are the ASUS P6T SE and ASUS P6T and EVGA X58 SLI SE. I have had a fair bit of bad experience with ASUS motherboards, although Ive heard a lot of good things about the P6T. I like EVGA as a brand, theyve always been willing to help and their products are top notch imo, which is why the EVGA is in consideration.
Price is a relatively large consideration, and if the ASUS boards are tried and tested without issues I wouldnt mind going for one of them.
I would like to have the option to SLI though, not sure how likely I am to use it though im a lot more likely to use SLI than Crossfire. Not sure its worth the extra £22 though.

I do want to do a solid overclock, thats pretty important atm.

Just want opinions on what to go for really :D

Associate
OP
£195 without P&P is a tad overpriced imo.
Can it do anything that the ASUS P6T cant ? Does it really clock that much higher ?
Never had a Gigabyte board but have heard only good things about them. I know its stupid but that colour scheme annoys me.

Associate
OP
Bumping myself is not something Id normally do but I need to put the order in tonight.
Any other opinions on these mobos ?

In all fairness it is only £51 to go from the ASUS P6T SE to the Gigabyte UD5 . . . is it worth it though ?

EDIT: read a bunch of reviws and Im leaning towards the EVGA. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise I will order before I fall asleep tonight . . .

Last edited:
Associate
Can i ask you what did you take in consideration to buy that over SLI LE?

If you had the chance would you go rampage 2 or even classified?

Associate
OP
Yeah I got the Gigabyte EX58 UD5, it seems like a great motherboard but has already given me a fair bit of hassle - managed to resolve it though and all seems good now. Thats one of the reasons I like EVGA; you just plug them in and they do what they should do.
In Hindsight I think the EVGA would have been just as good if not a better buy.
One of the main things that influenced me is the position of the heatsink mount holes - they're very high on the EVGA which I thought would cause a conflict with my case but looking at things they're actually a tiny bit lower than my current EVGA board.
I also looked at a whole bunch of reviews paying close attention to the overclocking capability which the UD5 seemed to come out on top in. But now I see that the reviewed versions of the EVGA boards were earlier ones with the original BIOS' and they have since improved (a decent number of people getting 4.5-4.7GHz on air).

The Rampage and classified were well out of my price range. Sure Id love to have one, but not love to pay for one quite as much.

Im sure I would be pleased with either; too much choice lol.

Associate
I'm between rampage and classified, i like evga support forums, lifetime warranty, bios settings, asus is cheaper...

what u recommend?

Associate
OP
Traded the UD5 out for an EVGA SLI LE and this things a beast. Everything worked straight off with no issues and it looks so much better than the UD5 :p

Its now on 4GHz 60/61/61/57 with no issues. Great board.

Im sure I just had bad luck with Gigabyte but Im not exactly going to be rushing back to them.

Back
Top Bottom