• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Thinking of baying new card

Permabanned
He maens BUYING. Its ralaly esay to raed bad sleplnig as the hmuan barin olny nedes to see the frist and lsat ltteers of a wrod. See not hrad is it :D

For some one as pedantic as me about spelling and punctuation, I'm really surprised I didn't pick up on that...

I think I've shamed my self... :(

:D

Associate
i dont get it why waste time in posting up about a small spelling mistake why:confused: i asked a question i got whats baying???:mad:

You can't spell buying? You spelt it incorrectly multiple times. :D

Anyways to answer your question, a 375w power supply is going to be useless and you haven't even given the brand name. I'm surprised it can support the 8800 GT to be honest.

You'll need a 500w minimum quality brand PSU or you could be asking for trouble. As far as what card to go for...I dunno ;)

Soldato
You can't spell buying? You spelt it incorrectly multiple times. :D

Anyways to answer your question, a 375w power supply is going to be useless and you haven't even given the brand name. I'm surprised it can support the 8800 GT to be honest.

You'll need a 500w minimum quality brand PSU or you could be asking for trouble. As far as what card to go for...I dunno ;)

Poppycock! I had a Dell Dimension 9200 (XPS 410). It ran a 8800 GTX no problem at all.
CPU was an E6600.
Available amperage on the 12v rails is more important than total Wattage.
Dell PSUs are very good quality, a Dell 375 Watt PSU is good for 375 Watts constantly.
I would expect it to run a 260GTX also. I think you may have a problem with Quad core though!
However I had to order/buy the 6pin PSU cable splitter (1 x 6 pin to 2 x 6 pin) from the USA!

Last edited:

D13

D13

Associate
the 8800gt and 9800gt are very similiar in performance, why did you want to upgrade. Is there a specific reason behind needing a low profile card?

To be honest you are very limited in choice by the power supply and by the fact you need low profile.

p.s guys this is a new user on the forum and all you are doing is banging on about spelling mistakes, cant you be a tad more polite.

Permabanned
Now that the hilarity of you seemingly thinking 'baying' means buying appears to be wearing off, it looks like the answers you want are filtering through...

Are you ready to finish your hissy fit and come and read some of the constructive responses?

Yeah, yeah I'm fully aware my post is no way at all constructive, but whatyergonnado? :o

Soldato
I stripped down my Dell to make this system, I bought a new case, PSU, motherboard, CPU cooler and RAM from Overclockers. I used my DELL hard drives, DVD drive, card reader, CPU and OS!!
I have been very pleased with the results, my current setup is [email protected], 780i motherboard and a Gainward 285 GTX!
I then sold my Dell case, motherboard, CPU cooler and PSU as a bundle on the bay!

Last edited:
Associate
ignore the spelling nazi's

Your falling into nvidia's evil rebranding trap MUAHAHAHAHAHAH! The 8800gt / 9800 gt/gtx/gtx+ & 250 are all the same card so it would be a pointless upgrade.

If your looking for something more powerful then you will need a bigger psu.
And as your case is likely to be small hot & crap your best bet is to change that as well.

Now you said you wanted a nvidia card, Any reason for this? or just being a fanboi?

Your best bet is to get a 4890 or a 275 if your fanboism wins out.

I would also recommend a new psu with 600W + from one the major brands ocuk dont stock crap psu's so anything they have will be fine and lastly a new case.

Permabanned
Ignore the spelling nazi's
You're falling into nvidia's evil rebranding trap MUAHAHAHAHAHAH! The 8800gt / 9800 gt/gtx/gtx+ & 250 are all the same card so it would be a pointless upgrade.

If you're looking for something more powerful then you will need a bigger psu, and as your case is likely to be small hot & crap your best bet is to change that as well.

Now you said you wanted a nvidia card, Any reason for this? or just being a fanboi?

Your best bet is to get a 4890 or a 275 if your fanboism wins out.

I would also recommend a new psu with 600W + from one the major brands ocuk dont stock crap PSUs so anything they have will be fine and lastly a new case.

:mad: I'm a punctuation nazi! Nazis! Not that and those other abominations you have constructed that I don't dare repeat!

:D

You have to admit though, the error did make for a funny beginning to the thread.

I genuinely thought he was talking about 'baying' his card as in selling it on ebay. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom