Quiet Quad-Core Build

Permabanned
tech reports roundup, read it and weep, just because you think something should be better, doesnt mean it is, my statements are based on factual research rather than speculation. Yeah for gaming 750 beats both, for encoding/rendering/image processing/folding the 750 still just edges ahead of the 920 (its about a 60/40 split of 750 coming out just ahead of 920), so the 860 (which wasnt tested but you can assume it to be v near the 870) is likely to spank the 920

Permabanned
to be fair, tomshardware benchies always point the other way of everyone else on the net, thats why i pay no attention to them, Im sry but I dont find them very reliable at all

Soldato
Agreed, seems the 750 only really beats the 920 when turbo boost is enabled on the 750.

But surely your chosing to backup your argument with what conforms to your view and ignoring anything else.

I wasnt aware of the i5 benchmarks you posted since it a very new processor but now i am but i'll still be going i7920 for myself when i put my order in at least for performance, overclocking and future upgrade to 6core

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Here is what I'm thinking now:

spec1.png

I'm thinking that spending an extra £150 for future upgradability and a debatable performance increase (there are benchmarks pointing both ways) just isn't worth it. Realistically I'll be upgrading again in a few years and 1156/1366 will be on its way out and getting replaced by something new!

I've changed the hard drive and gone for the modular power supply (I love modular ones - so much easier to work with!).

I've gone for a slightly pricier gfx card which has dual DVI and has decent reviews.

Also, the £150 saved means I can get more memory/better fans if I want to once I've built the system :)

Thoughts? :)

Soldato
Seems like a Nice spec
I'ld go with the f1 when its in stock tbh but thats my personal preference,f3's the server series i think with the f2 being the eco series

Last edited:
Permabanned
can understand how it seems that way, lol (only paying attention to reviews that fit) but its not, its just tomsharware, in my experience they often have conflicting results with the general concensus of rest of web and just arent reliable. Anandtech are in process of doing a comparison of the chips all clocked to 3.8, which should be interesting to see how they perform.
Yeah its solid gfx card that, dint think they were in stock?

Soldato
can understand how it seems that way, lol (only paying attention to reviews that fit) but its not, its just tomsharware, in my experience they often have conflicting results with the general concensus of rest of web and just arent reliable. Anandtech are in process of doing a comparison of the chips all clocked to 3.8, which should be interesting to see how they perform.
Yeah its solid gfx card that, dint think they were in stock?

i'll be interested ot see how the 860 performs as im buying a complete new rig over the next 4 weeks.

Associate
i'll be interested ot see how the 860 performs as im buying a complete new rig over the next 4 weeks.

Yeah, me too. I'm really not sure what to go for now with these new chips. I want something cool and quiet but powerful. the original i7s seemed to run rather hot. would i be better goin i5 or new i7 to keep heat & noise down?
not a gamer but use the pc for various tasks inc adobe cs4, watchin hd, and general use.

Back
Top Bottom