No HE Applecare in store?

Soldato
MacBook Pro, I bought it on HE discount, 15% off in store. I was under the impression HE discount also gave me the extra 3 years AppleCare warranty included, but they seemed to have no knowledge of this in store (Trafford Centre) and wanted me to pay the extra £58. When I enquired if this was just for the extended phone support they said no, it's for phone and parts.

Is there any way to check whether I have the extra warranty and they weren't just confused? If I don't i'l just take this back and order one from the HE store over the phone to be sure.

Soldato
Extra £58 it seems is JUST for the 3 years telephone support.

The MBP already has the 3 years hardware warranty if you phone applecare they should be able to confirm it :)

Edit:

apple said:
10. One (1) year Limited Warranty and HE National Agreement Warranty Provisions
10.1 All new Hardware carries a one-year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty terms and conditions, which form part of and are incorporated into this Contract by reference, are available for you to see by clicking the appropriate hyperlink below. Such warranty terms and conditions are also contained in your Apple Hardware box. You may review a copy of the limited warranty on Apple Hardware products, including its limitations and exclusions, before your purchase, by clicking the appropriate link below.
One-year limited warranty for new products except iPod and iSight
One-year limited warranty for iPod and iSight

The one-year limited warranty does not cover Software, Services or any other Products. You should refer to the relevant Software licences for warranties which may apply to your Software.
The Apple One-year limited warranty covers all Apple Hardware except those explicitly mentioned below in clause 10.1.1 which describes specific warranty benefits for purchases made within the framework of the Higher Education National Agreement.

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products sold after October 1st 2005 within the framework of the HE National Agreement shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period (the “HE National Agreement Warranty”) commencing from the date of delivery.

Last edited:
Soldato
The issue is that the online/phone store if you buy either through the HE site or get the HE discount on the phone they offer the 3 year warranty without phone support, however the stores don't offer this which is why APP is so heavily discounted in stores.

It's a real sticking point coming from someone who works in a store. It's a real head scratcher as why you get 3 years warranty through the HE site/phone yet have to pay £58 if you buy from the store.

Soldato
OP
Well I did just buy it about 30 minutes ago.. So I would be surprised if anything is online yet!

It's a real sticking point coming from someone who works in a store. It's a real head scratcher as why you get 3 years warranty through the HE site/phone yet have to pay £58 if you buy from the store.

Ahh ok, so I definitely don't have the full 3 years Applecare then? That's a bit daft. Guess it's going back!

Soldato
I'd be very surprised! In fact I'd say 99% you won't have the 3 year warranty when bought from the store. Give Applecare a ring though to check it by all means.

I'm trying to think of how it would get registered in store. Typically the APP has to be tied into the serial number, but saying that when the HE discount is applied theres a chance that once the sale goes through (which then automatically registers the bought date with Applecare) then the warranty is activated.

I'll check myself when I'm back in work on Monday if you want to hold on for the moment?

Soldato
OP
Ah cheers mate. I'm at a wedding all weekend so can hold on till Monday no worries. Have a 14 day period in which to return it and it's all in the box etc anyway :)

Soldato
OP
Phone up and check first...

You will have to pay 10% stocking fee to giving it back btw...

Really? I did mention bringing it back to the salesman in store if I could definitely get the 3 year cover online/over the phone and he said as long as it's within 14 days they'll take it straight back? Or is that just if it's been opened?

To pay a 10% restocking fee it would be cheaper to just sell it brand new in box second hand and buy another :confused:

Vader could you confirm this please? Tar :)

Soldato
I wish I had taken my mac back now. I told the salesman I didn't want the applecare at the time. My own fault for assuming i would take it back until the last day and then decided to keep it! I guess a few stongly worded letters will do, along with the one stating why I was unable to provide originals receipts for my rebate.

Soldato
OP
I wish I had taken my mac back now. I told the salesman I didn't want the applecare at the time. My own fault for assuming i would take it back until the last day and then decided to keep it! I guess a few stongly worded letters will do, along with the one stating why I was unable to provide originals receipts for my rebate.

Totally serves me right for being impatient to be honest! It's remarkably hard to just go "sod it i'l return it" and have to wait another week for another one now it's sat there ready to go. However at this moment in time it seems daft for me to throw away another 2 years warranty for the sake of a 15 minute drive and a phonecall. I'm already kicking myself for not buying one during the £145 ipod rebate offer.

Associate
I just tried entering the serial number of a mac mini purchased through HE online to check the warranty dates. Interestingly it only shows 1 years worth of warranty, so now I am wondering whether HE 3 year cover actually shows up via the warranty lookup on Apples site.

Anyone else tried looking who purchased through Apple HE online?

Associate
I know for a fact when you buy a Mac in store w/ the HE discount, the warranty is only active for the 1st year. Only the Applecare item on the receipt shows the warranty is valid for 3 years.

Soldato
Why don't you just buy it with the £58 APP in-store I think the phone service can be quite usful, I had issues with my Mighty mouse the other day, called them they are sending another, and means I don't have to go in to the store to get it done.

Soldato
OP
Why don't you just buy it with the £58 APP in-store I think the phone service can be quite usful, I had issues with my Mighty mouse the other day, called them they are sending another, and means I don't have to go in to the store to get it done.

I've always presumed phone support was for people who don't actually know what they're doing? This isn't my first Mac and i'm proficient in the use of OSX so the only thing i'm after is support if the physical hardware breaks, which on a laptop isn't something that can be solved over the phone. I'de rather not pay £58 something if I can get it for free obviously.

Unless phone support is the only way you can order say, a courier to come pick up your computer and return it to you working a couple of days later? In Manchester I have two apple stores spitting distance so even this isn't required, but i'l be in Bournemouth as of Septembers end and the closest Apple store isn't quite so near.

Back
Top Bottom