Case fans help and advice please!

GSS

GSS

Associate
This is my first thread on the forum, so I'd like to introduce myself and say hi ;)

I have added a 2nd Graphics card (Asus EN9600GT HTDI/1G) to my Mesh built (Dec 2008) PC. The PC as built was running four fans, 92mm
CPU cooler, 92mm rear exhaust, 60mm additional/optional mobo fan and the GPU fan (Asus Glaciator Fansink)...five now, with the addition of a 2nd 9600GT

I am increasing the rear exhuast to 120mm and plan to install another 120mm intake fan at the front of my ATX Mid-Tower Case, although cutting some sort of grill around the power-on button in the facia panel to allow the airflow is required to achieve this. My graphics cards sit in the bottom third of the case, behind the HDD, moved back to allow for the fan installation, where they are in direct line approximately 12inches (GPU heatsink & fan) back from the intended intake fan. My theory...the intake fan will "kill two birds with one stone", acting as a HDD cooler and aiding the cooling of the graphics cards by drawing cool air over them? I think I'm right in saying, GPU cooler fans work by dispersing hot air away from the heatsink rather than pulling cool air over it? If this is the case, can I add a 2nd exhuast fan to my side panel, where there is already a grill for passive airflow, to increase the heat dispertion by exhuasting it directly out of the case? Thus, I'll have cool air being pulled over the cards from the front intake and the hot air exhuasted by the side panel fan.

I have read about negative & positive pressure, need I concern myself with this in my particular case? Is it ok to have fans at different angles, in my case, 45 degrees to each other, with differing tasks, intake, exhaust or does it create a vortex and cause a negative affect or will it affect airflow with the existing fans?

My need for additional cooling is more for the longevity of my components than anything else, I could buy dedicated GPU coolers but apart from being quieter possibly, they would probably be an unecessary expense as I don't push my GPU temps that high. My mobo supports PWM, fan control for the CPU fan and 2 case fans so I'll want to connect my side panel exhuast as the 2nd case fan and have manual control with a fan controller for the intake fan, to set up the most suitable airflow/noise ratio. I'm still undecided about the make of fan, it's either Noctua or Scythe I think?

Any help and advice would be very welcome, thank you :confused:

Asus P5N-D 750i SLI - Intel Q9550 @ 2.83GHz - OCZ Vendetta CPU Cooler - Asus EN9600GT HTDI/1G x 2 - Samsung RAM 8Gb (4 x 2Gb)Samsung HD103UJ HDD 1TB - Samsung Super Writemaster SH-S223F - Creative SB X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion - Logitech Z-2300 (THX) 2.1 - Benq FP241W x 2[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom