Case sizes.

Associate
Modern cases are massive! I get that they need good airflow, but, man, some are just huge! I'm hoping to build a new i5 rig soon and am looking for a case that has both excellent cooling and isn't big enough for me use as shelter should my wife kick me out of the house!

Are cases that aren't extended-ATX-compatible likely to be smaller?

Associate
The antec 300 I have is a standard ATX format and is slightly smaller than my old case that had a carry handle built into the top, but some cases do seem to be absolutely massive now!

Once heard another customer in the old OcUK premesis describe the Coolermaster RC-1000 Comsos as an understated and minimilastic case, it's absolutely huge and minimilistic isn't exactly the phrase I would use :eek:

Soldato
I had quite a large Antec Titan as my first self built PC. Got an antec 300 last christmas and it's a much more manageable size. Some people complain that a longer graphics card won't fit without blocking a HDD space or two but not many people need 6 hard drives in the first place.

I think even the Titan is a fair bit smaller then a lot of cases around today.

Associate
I had quite a large Antec Titan as my first self built PC. Got an antec 300 last christmas and it's a much more manageable size. Some people complain that a longer graphics card won't fit without blocking a HDD space or two but not many people need 6 hard drives in the first place.

I think even the Titan is a fair bit smaller then a lot of cases around today.

The cables supplied by Gigabyte with my motherboard have a 90 degree socket at one end, and I haven't had any trouble with my 4890 blocking off that HDD, just means I have to take out the GPU to remove that HDD. More annoyingly the GPU blocked off the BIOS reset button enough to mean I've had to take the plastic safety cover off of it to allow me to use the button rather than the jumper.

Associate
Im using a Lian Li PC7... Similar size to the 300 and I love it, but I think the 300 is a bit better for air cooling, seems to have more places for fan mounting and such.

But yea, when I got this case I thought it was a bit big (first build, used to little beige ones haha) but compare it to a V2000 or TJ07 and its tiny!! They are some seriously big cases!

Soldato
NZXT Panzerbox at 244 X 455 X 455 mm get my vote for a Midi tower but it's more expensive that the 300. Neither are that good if your a quiet pc builder but both are good for air flow.

Smaller options are the Lian Li PC-A05 but the cooling is not so great.
Or PC-X500 if you like you cases tall but with a small footprint (and large budget)

Or the cheap pressed steel cases that have next to no features (GMC-R2 toast etc.)
that really are small for a full atx case @ 170 x 328 x 420

Last edited:
Soldato
Are cases that aren't extended-ATX-compatible likely to be smaller?
Of course they're smaller in depth because they don't have to be able to house 33cm wide motherboard... whose fitting also nicely guarantees working space with long graphics cards which make normal ATX cases cramped.

Mini/midi/full is again mnore about height with mini tower being able to house only microATX mobo and standard PSU. (in case of ATX mobo PSU would have to be next to CPU at same height allowing only small CPU heatsink) Miditower again takes ATX mobo and normal PSU either above of below it. Full tower again adds extra height enough for second PSU.

Back
Top Bottom