Mercedes SLK's

Soldato
What do people think of these then? Been looking at various cars (S2000 and TT mainly) for around the 8k bracket and just noticed these. Look quite nice although the lights look a bit dated, nice interior etc.

I can imagine some big bills come with this type of car though? What are the different engine specs, anyone had any experiences with one. Seems like a good choice if I don't go down the raw S2000 route.

Man of Honour
It's strictly the sort of car you buy your girlfriend. The first gen SLK is not a drivers car in the slightest and has a range of boring engines until the V6 came out.

New ones great, however. But the old one? TT and S2000 are both better cars.

Associate
SLKs look awful. Can't comment on the drive, however.

8k on a car in that sort of bracket, though, and you really should be looking at old shape TTs or an 03 plate Z4 (in addition to the S2000). The cheapest 3.0i Z4 I've seen was just over 9 grand, I think, so you could up your budget marginally or comfortably get a 2.5i for 8k.

Curve ball: old shape Boxster?

With regard to the service billing, all these things will be beyond their 3-5 year warranties by some distance. So long as you get it done at reputable independents it shouldn't affect value at really, especially not when you offset the (marginal) difference in re-sale value against the money saved at the garage.

Man of Honour
£8k isn't enough for a really nice Z4, you'll get a better TT with £8k than you will Z4. Sure, the Z4 is a better car but not at £8k.

kai

kai

Soldato
I have a TT, and have access to my dads SLK on weekends; personally the TT is so much better, However mams car wins hands down a new 120D BMW.

Soldato
Is it the same even with the V6? The interiors are very nice and the folding hardtop is a very nice feature, they look rubbish stock, but I think the AMG bodykit makes them look a lot better.

I was toying with the idea of a 320 just as a change, would like a different style of engine I currently have and more refined drive whilst keeping it a roadster.

What about the SLK32 AMG? They have an impressive spec, but I assume the running costs are astronomical being an AMG?

Soldato
OP
I thought it looked ok with the AMG kit on, but if it's going to be a rubbish drive then there's no point looking into it any further.

I considered a Z4 but I've dropped the budget as i've moved out now so as said no chance for 8k.

Looks like it's between the TT and S2000 then, quite different types of cars but the main thing letting the S2000 down is the interior for me, I know that's not what it's about but i'd still like a fairly nice place to sit.

Back
Top Bottom