*** Crucial M225 SSD's Available From £102.99 inc VAT ***

Soldato
Stop worrying about the 1711 firmware tbh... if you have it just disable TRIM using the command prompt command given on previous pages. You're not losing anything disabling TRIM anyway because it's not even supported natively currently on the drive anyway!

Also I've been running 1711 in Windows 7 64bit since it came out with no corruption.

Basically, it's not the end of the World.

Associate
Some people might prefer not having to reformat and install everything again once the new firmware is out, hence why they're waiting ;)

Associate
Urgh, getting slightly confused (I do have man flu though).

What do I need to do before installing Vista 64 onto it? Or am I good to go out of the box? What's the issue with the firmware?

Just treat it like a normal HD.

You might want to "align" the disk using DiskPart, using an offset of 1024kb and clustersize of 4096kb. Windows 7 deals with this automatically, Vista doesn't. If you don't do this before setup, then there will be a slight performance hit - probably only noticeable in benchmarks.

Switch off superfetch and defrag on the SSD once Windows is installed.

There's been a lot of talk on firmware, but if you read over the last 5-6 pages of this thread - I'm sure it's answered there.

Associate
Is there some sort of issue that i'm not aware of with Ghost or True Image to re-image a drive after a firmware update ?

I've not tried it, I use WHS for bare metal restores at the moment, but from what I've read unless you do a sector by sector image in Acronis, it will not restore the partition alignment (see my previous post) optimised for SSDs.

Associate
I have an odd reported benchmark speed and would appreciate some pointers as to where the problem may lie.

I've just installed the 64GB M225, along with a fresh install of Win7 RC. I installed in ACHI mode and I installed the Biostar ACHI driver for my motherboard when I installed Win7.

The install went fine and windows definitely is a lot snappier, but I get a curious result when I run CrystalDiskMark. Here's what I mean:

1251647942.jpg

As you can see, my 4K read/writes are great, it's the sequential read/writes that seem low compared to others who have this drive.

All my motherboards drivers are up to date (using the Biostar drivers), I've manually disabled Superfetch in Services, along with canceling scheduled defrags. Rig as per sig.

Any pointers as to what this could be guys?

TIA :)
I cured this problem :) I updated my BIOS so I was able to run in Native IDE mode and still be able to pick up my SSD. I just booted into Win7, let it install the default windows drivers, rebooted and ran CDM and came up with this:

1252965974.jpg

:cool:

It looks like my motherboard wont run the drive in SATA II mode when under AHCI mode, and that's why I was getting a low Sequential Read score.

Hope this proves helpful to anyone else with the same problem.

Associate
1. Those are enterprise level drives costing tens of thousands of dollars.
2. What does that have to do with the Crucial M225?

Associate
No new firmware as yet :(

Soon, soon :D

@OCZ forums said:
Indilinx are completely re-writing the FW for the Vertex/Agility/Turbo drives. This is taking slightly longer than expected. We mentioned 2 weeks, almost 3 weeks ago, so I understand the concern.

OCZ have a new version in house that is undergoing our "Alpha" testing, as things progress, Tony and myself will get a copy to test. Once we are satisfied, we will have a very limited Beta test, then we will get it released on the forum.

We are working to make all this happen as fast as possible, but please be patient. [...]

Now, of course, it'll take even longer for Crucial to release it even after OCZ releases it... :/

Soldato
Do we know at this stage whether or not this new firmware will definitely involve a destructive wipe? I've held off reinstalling all my games etc on the basis that I will be reformatting the whole drive shortly...

Associate
Going to be ordering one of these, is there anything I need to get/do in order to use its full potential. I am using windows 7 by the way.

Couldn't be bothered to read through 34 pages sorry!

(getting the 64gig one)

Associate
Soon, soon :D

Thanks for the updates rpsgc :)

Do we know at this stage whether or not this new firmware will definitely involve a destructive wipe? I've held off reinstalling all my games etc on the basis that I will be reformatting the whole drive shortly...

Nope :( Though I'm thinking there's a high chance it will be. Still I'm imaged ready to reinstall if it comes to that.

Going to be ordering one of these, is there anything I need to get/do in order to use its full potential. I am using windows 7 by the way.

Couldn't be bothered to read through 34 pages sorry!

(getting the 64gig one)

Sorry - can't be bothered summarising the last 34 pages for you :p

But to give you some pointers, no. Win7 does most of it. Just read up on TRIM and firmware updates.

Back
Top Bottom