TF2 Achievement Idle Servers.

Soldato
Well you heard about what Valve did to players who idle right? Well I should say what they didn't give them.

It's in the past now anyway

Soldato
No i dont know what they did tbh! lol

Valve have given all players that didn't use outside programs to get weapons a new hat called the cheaters lament. It's a halo on a wire.

Basically that's valves stance on the matter. So don't do it.

Oh and some servers which see you wearing the hat... may ban you. Because cheaters are basically sore losers.

Gaming is so hard nowadays.

Soldato
Team Fortress 2 Official Blog said:
Incoming!
September 2, 2009 - Erik Johnson

Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process.

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.

[Source]

PK!

Last edited:
Don
before they switched to achievement unlocks for sniper/spy, I used one as it took me blooming ages to get the bow

used that app in the end to get it, and now I don't have a 'lament' :p

I don't care about the hats enough to idle for them, but I'm also yet to 'find' one :/

Soldato
Used achievement_idle.bsp before, mainly cause I never had the time to just play all day to unlock the items and some of them were just silly and if you didn't have them it felt unbalanced (such as the triple scout jump). Got the halo also.

Associate
I can't condemn anyone that used an idle server, the new unlock system was clearly flawed. I know it was no fun getting five fire axes before I got any new unlocks. And I know people used an external application because of the same frustration, so I do have sympathy for them, but Valve were right to punish for the use of an external application. There should be a zero tolerance policy on externals apps, regardless of their purpose.

Removing the cheated items is a fitting punishment. As for the halo, it seems a little unfair that while some people will have used the app because they take whatever advantage they can get and have no qualms about cheating, some people will have used it because they feel cheated themselves, and would normally steer well clear of these kinds of programs. But there you go, stay off hax kids.

Associate
OP
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
I would say the quicker way to achieve the unlocked items would be to get a few friends on a server and work your way through the achievements list. From the start players who have the extra weapons have the advantage. So imo it makes it harder to compete in the game. I must admit I did sit on one of those servers for a hour and got the Jarate. Although I couldn't be bothered to do it again because its time consuming and boring. :(

Soldato
Do you guys really find that the basic weapons give you a disadvantage?

Sniper - Huntsman
Both different weapons. Cant compare.

Natasha - Minigun
Natasha is statistically the better weapon

Flame-thrower - Backburner
I prefer the flame thrower tbh as I don't tend to come up from behind.

I want to name more but I forget the names of the weapons lol. But as the game is pretty well balanced to me the weapon unlocks seem like different weapons, not better weapons.

Associate
I've got a script that runs TF2 in a small window in the background connected to an achiviement_idle server when I'm not playing it... uses hardly any CPU. I want a hat.

Back
Top Bottom