8 static IP's?

Soldato
I have opted for 8 static IP's on my net ADSL, and im slightly curious as to how to set it up. Havent had to do it before so interedted in saving some time in configuration/testing.

I have 5 PC's but only really need two to have their own ip's to the outside world. I will be using a netgear DG834N connecting to a netgear Gbit Switch.

I assume that either I need to turn off NAT and then give each PC its own ip address, or could I set it up so that I have my rig and my housemates rig in a DMZ with their own ips, and then have NAT turned on, on the router, and have the other PC's behind this?

We have software firewalls running on each of the PC's that need their own IP's. I do have a decent Netgear 26port (2gbit) managed switch as well if i end up having to use that for something.

Basically, whats the esiest way to set it up so two pcs have static IP's, and i dont care about the rest as long as they have net connection, and my main rig is accessible to them over the LAN, and is it possible to do this while having the firewall on my router enabled.

If its really difficult to do without the correct hardware then I can easily change it to 1static IP and go back to a normal home network.

Don
What are they going to be used for?

I'd just use 1 static IP max, and use router port forwarding.. or even just rely on dynamic dns or something, or hamachi...

Soldato
OP
starcraft simply doesnt work with two of us in the same game over the net, while on the same connection. It does if we are in different games though. Its merely a test to see if it works if we have seperate IP's. i have tried everything I can find on the net (over the last 6 years) and cant get it to work. 8 is free, so i thought id give it a go and see if it works, can always change it to one/only use one.

Associate
starcraft simply doesnt work with two of us in the same game over the net, while on the same connection. It does if we are in different games though. Its merely a test to see if it works if we have seperate IP's. i have tried everything I can find on the net (over the last 6 years) and cant get it to work. 8 is free, so i thought id give it a go and see if it works, can always change it to one/only use one.

worth a go

they should give you a modem/router to support the configuration for the subnet you have been allocated (although cant be to sure about this):

Place ips onto workstations and forward the traffic through the router (bridge the interfaces etc)

Place ips onto the router and SNAT / DNAT the traffic as appropriate

Your isp should give you more information regarding this.

Also you might want to take a look at pfsense or similiar - http://www.pfsense.com - but that depends on how much configuring your willing to do

Last edited:
Associate
I am with Zen Internet and is a free option to have 8 or 1 static IP.

I just set my Speedouch 536 up with one of my IP on the Ethernet side of the Speedtouch and have NAT turned off. Connects into a switch to provide connectivity to the other devices. My devices then have the 536 as there DG and configured with Zen's DNS routers as the DNS servers.

I then have the devices on the ethernet configured with a public IP.

Is currently just my Time Capsule, but should shortly be an ESX server with a firewall and some other VM machines running.

Soldato
OP
I am with Zen Internet and is a free option to have 8 or 1 static IP.

I just set my Speedouch 536 up with one of my IP on the Ethernet side of the Speedtouch and have NAT turned off. Connects into a switch to provide connectivity to the other devices. My devices then have the 536 as there DG and configured with Zen's DNS routers as the DNS servers.

I then have the devices on the ethernet configured with a public IP.

Is currently just my Time Capsule, but should shortly be an ESX server with a firewall and some other VM machines running.

this sounds like the simplicity of what i want to do, especialy just at first to test if it even makes a difference. So, turn NAT off, Router gets one IP, connected to a switch where the PC's are configured with the router as the DG and DNS from the ISP.

If it works, then il probably set them up in a DMZ and leave NAT on for the wireless devices purely for that extra layer of security, even though all the ones that are in the DMZ are the only machines i care about security on lol.

It definatley isnt cheaper to get a phone for each PC ;)

Back
Top Bottom