Deus Ex: The Nameless Mod

Soldato
How the heck did I miss this getting released?

15-20 hours of New Deus Ex based shenanigans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feTT8erNInc

http://thenamelessmod.com/

About The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod is an enormous single-player total conversion mod for Deus Ex.

Story
In Forum City, the Internet is serious business. As its name implies, the city is the physical embodiment of Internet forums and bulletin boards. It's more like The Matrix or Tron than Second Life, however, as the troubles of the city are no laughing matter. Embracing the style of Deus Ex, Forum City has as much crime and conspiracy as the world of JC Denton — but most citizens would have it no other way.

The lust for power seems to come easily to those who call the city their home; everywhere there are factions scheming to increase their reach, or even wrest control of the city itself. Were it not for a peacekeeping triumvirate of invulnerable Moderators the city would quickly plunge into chaos.

This has been the way of things for as long as most care to remember.

But now, the balance of power has been upset. Unthinkably, a Moderator has disappeared, and panic is gripping the city. With the remaining Moderators spread far too thin, the lawless have found themselves with the freedom to prey upon others, and formerly suppressed rivalries threaten to explode into open conflict.

You are called upon to silence the discord.

Throughout the course of the game, you take on the avatar of Trestkon, a former intelligence agent whose reasons for leaving the city are mysterious, at best. Negotiating for his return was an act of desperation, but having known him personally, the remaining Moderators trust that he can find their missing colleague before it is too late.

Two years can change a man, however, and Trestkon's loyalty is not set in stone. Now imbued with legal authority, he could tip the balance of power in virtually anyone's favour, and the multitude of factions are well aware. Corrupt corporations, religious fanatics, cyber-terrorists, and even deadly computer programs will stop at nothing to gain Trestkon's allegiance.

Your task is simple:
Save the world.
The rest is up to you.
Features
Discover a unique and intriguing setting based on an actual Internet forum and its inhabitants throughout the years
Play through 59 levels of engaging gameplay, plus a new tutorial, and even secret bonus maps just waiting for you to find them
Use 20 original new weapons, including unique weapons which may only be acquired after you've successfully completed The Nameless Mod once
Dive into a deep world with its own lore: Hundreds of e-mails, books, newspapers, notepads, and datacubes containing custom text
Customize yourself: Choose between two different Trestkon models with 5 different faces for each, and even eye-wear
Choose your own path with two parallel story arcs and tons of side-missions
Enjoy nearly limitless freedom as the world reacts to your every choice, and observe the far-reaching consequences of your actions in a detailed epilogue
Bring the story to one of 5 thrilling conclusions, each with their own detailed cinematic
Immerse yourself in a work of fiction with over 200,000 words of dialogue, monologue, and other character utterances
Hear voice actors speak more than 13,000 high-quality lines in 14 hours of audio that puts other games to shame
Enjoy almost 100 brand-new tracks of high-quality music, with at least one unique song for every level
Search for a myriad of secrets, Easter eggs, and amusing details that will have you ready to play TNM again as soon as you've finished
Tailor the experience to your liking with detailed difficulty settings, including customizable enemy and item counts
And much, much more!
Concept
To the casual observer, The Nameless Mod may appear to be a self-indulgent piece of fan fiction about inside jokes on a forum. Well, you got us, that's how it started. It didn't take long to realize that the target audience for something of that nature would be incredibly small, and would grow smaller as development went on.

Thus, The Nameless Mod has outgrown its roots as a silly in-joke to a complete game with a complex story and memorable characters.

In general, the setting remains the same — a virtual world representing an Internet community — but it's a setting that's approachable for anyone who has spent time with a computer. If that's not you, congratulations on finding the power button, you're on the road to success!

Of course, TNM is not devoid of humour; everyone can enjoy the subtle (and not so subtle) references to online culture and pop culture, and if you've got a brain, even better!

The point is, The Nameless Mod has something for just about anyone, and if you don't believe that a mod that started out as self-referential fan fiction can achieve that, give it a spin, it's free!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dosen't look too bad.

Anyone know how the texture mod's are doing? deus ex reborn rings a bell.

Deus Ex Reborn was an attempt at a full conversion of Deus Ex into UT2004 engine. The site has a note from 2007 saying the alpha has been taken down and the beta is in the works. Can't say I'm too hopeful that it will see the light of day any time soon.

Then there's the HDTP, a high definition texture project for the original Deus Ex. That's been 'nearly done' for months (maybe years) but there's a fair bit of disquiet on their forums at the lack of final release. I think this is mainly textures for characters rather than environments.

You can get some beta improved textures if you google HDTP.

the New Vision mod is for environmental textures. This claims to be looking promising for a final release by the end of the year. I actually believe them because they've got a texture artist from Crytek working on it in his spare time so he should know what he's doing.

The plan is for HDTP and New Vision to be compatible so you can have both.

Soldato
The beta of New Vision has been out for ages, I was playing through Deus Ex recently using it. Was pretty good although I wish they'd pull their finger out with HDTP as the two would compliment each other nicely.

Associate
Deus Ex Reborn was an attempt at a full conversion of Deus Ex into UT2004 engine. The site has a note from 2007 saying the alpha has been taken down and the beta is in the works. Can't say I'm too hopeful that it will see the light of day any time soon.

Then there's the HDTP, a high definition texture project for the original Deus Ex. That's been 'nearly done' for months (maybe years) but there's a fair bit of disquiet on their forums at the lack of final release. I think this is mainly textures for characters rather than environments.

You can get some beta improved textures if you google HDTP.

the New Vision mod is for environmental textures. This claims to be looking promising for a final release by the end of the year. I actually believe them because they've got a texture artist from Crytek working on it in his spare time so he should know what he's doing.

The plan is for HDTP and New Vision to be compatible so you can have both.

Thanks mate :)

I really do hate mods, you look at the idea and it looks amazing! Then 5 years later they still havn't progressed enough for release..

Man of Honour
Sucks the premise is kinda cheesey and make me cringe... coz it looks like overall the mod if quite polished as far as anything in deus ex would be... and I'm a major fan of the original game... but this just sounds too quirky and too departed from the original.

Soldato
OP
Great game to play on a netbook btw. I bought one when I was working away last year and had few pleasant evenings with Deus Ex again. Nice to have a good game (if not good looking these days) that'll run well on intel integrated.

Back
Top Bottom