question about router as an access point

Soldato
My wireless connection with my Sky wireless router(Sagem) is generally good but I get the usual dropped connections in online gaming.

Sagem is downstairs and my PC is upstairs.

If I connect to the Sky router via homeplugs to my PC I get a much better connection in gaming...no drop-outs but my synch speed drops by 1 Mb which I haven't found to be a problem.

I know I can use an existing Netgear router as an access point for this wirelesss network and I intend to connect this AP to the Sky router via the homeplugs.

My question is if I configure the Netgear router as an AP to improve wireless connection upstairs can I also connect this AP wired to my PC?

In other words can I have the best of both worlds?

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Yes, disable the DHCP server on the netgear and connect one of the ports to the sky router.

You can then connect your computer via wireless or plug into one of the port on the back of the netgear.

Point to note is to make sure the 2 routers dont have the same IP address though.

Soldato
OP
I've done that and my pc is successfully connected wired to the "new" AP. Gaming online now with no dropouts.

One thing is bugging me, is it possible to check whether the wireless pc's elsewhere in the house are picking up the signal from the AP as their signal strengths are the same as before?

Back
Top Bottom