Samsung Spinpoint F1 1Tb 'device verify failed'

Associate
After nearly a year's trouble free use with this drive I've suddenly got this message in the bios at bootup:

'device verify failed'

AS I've got a Raptor as my boot drive I can still get into Vista but now the Spinpoint is showing up as being unformatted.

Although I have got a backup of the drive (on a Hitachi 1Tb that hasn't got the same problem) I still stand to lose a couple of month's data if I just reformat.

I've run ES Tool which reports the drive as only being 31Mb and also recommends reformatting.

Anything I can try doing before biting the bullet and accepting I've lost what's on the disk?

Cheers.

Soldato
I had something similar happen to my Samsung F1 1Tb a few weeks back. My drive would disappear whilst it was being used in Windows. I didn't run any diagnostic tools, just took the drive out, it in a USB2.0 enclosure and it could then be read by Windows just fine. I managed to pull all 950Gb from it onto another drive.

I then put it back inside the pc (direct SATA connection, not USB2.0) and checked the SMART status in HDTune. The well known Samsung B8 SMART status field had turned red. I haven't got round to RMAing yet but I'm glad I managed to get all my data from it :)

Associate
OP
[timko];14892692 said:
I had something similar happen to my Samsung F1 1Tb a few weeks back. My drive would disappear whilst it was being used in Windows. I didn't run any diagnostic tools, just took the drive out, it in a USB2.0 enclosure and it could then be read by Windows just fine. I managed to pull all 950Gb from it onto another drive.

I then put it back inside the pc (direct SATA connection, not USB2.0) and checked the SMART status in HDTune. The well known Samsung B8 SMART status field had turned red. I haven't got round to RMAing yet but I'm glad I managed to get all my data from it :)

Yeah, I've tried the USB enclosure trick (on 2 different machines) - still can't find the data on it, although the backup drive shows up no problem again. Becoming resigned to giving up on it, at least I have most of it backed up I suppose. Thanks for the suggestion.

Associate
OP
Ok so having run Active File Recovery to try and see if I can retrieve anything I'm getting nowhere and concede defeat.

Just gone on to Samsung's site to check the warranty status and I'm getting "Out of service area". What's this telling me? I have to go back to the retailer? Bought it Nov 08 so under a year old. Anyone have experience of dealing with Samsung HDD RMAs?

Cheers.

Permabanned
Sounds like your partition table has corrupted tbh i wouldnt give up on it myself a program like onTrack easy recovery would rebuild the table.

As for RMA'ing ive never had a problem, phone em up. But it would be easier to RMA to the retailer if under a year old tbh

Soldato
i had the same thing with my Samsung f1.

sometimes window's would see it and most of the time it wouldn't.

done a check with hd tune and had 43 bad sector's (should have checked it when i got it in march)

i couldn't transfer stuff onto it and couldn't install windows either.

got a new one coming this week after a rma.

Associate
OP
Sounds like your partition table has corrupted tbh i wouldnt give up on it myself a program like onTrack easy recovery would rebuild the table.

As for RMA'ing ive never had a problem, phone em up. But it would be easier to RMA to the retailer if under a year old tbh

Well I've used Active File Recovery and Active Partition Recovery now and whilst it can see the full 1Tb (Windows only sees 31Mb) can't find anything it can recover - files or partitions. ES Tool is giving me an error code and reporting a bad cluster, I reckon I'm facing a losing battle.

Just phoned the (Manchester based) suppliers and of course they're suggesting I return to Samsung which is the opposite of what Samsung says - could be going round in circles for a while. Reckon I might get a WD as replacement as they seem overall to get more favourable comments about reliability.

Soldato
Well I've used Active File Recovery and Active Partition Recovery now and whilst it can see the full 1Tb (Windows only sees 31Mb) can't find anything it can recover - files or partitions. ES Tool is giving me an error code and reporting a bad cluster, I reckon I'm facing a losing battle.

Just phoned the (Manchester based) suppliers and of course they're suggesting I return to Samsung which is the opposite of what Samsung says - could be going round in circles for a while. Reckon I might get a WD as replacement as they seem overall to get more favourable comments about reliability.

i had this problem and ended up sending my h/d to rexo.

just got my h/d back this morning as it goes,quite a quick turn around to be honest.

register your h/d on this site http://www.rexo.co.uk//

hope this helps.

Associate
OP
i had this problem and ended up sending my h/d to rexo.

just got my h/d back this morning as it goes,quite a quick turn around to be honest.

register your h/d on this site http://www.rexo.co.uk//

hope this helps.

Cheers. Just waiting for the retailer to get back to me to see what they say first. I did see the Rexo option via researching this forum but one or two recent posts suggested they had stopped handling RMAs literally in the last week - all very confusing.

Decided to go for a Barracuda 7200.12 in the meantime - they were on TWO offer earlier - as I needed a replacement straight away and I don't really trust the Samsungs as a main data drive again.

Associate
Bad luck with the disk, I just RMA'd one to Rexo and the turnaround was ludicrously fast I think I got the replacement drive 2 days after I posted the faulty one. I know what you mean about trusting the samsungs after a failure though.

Back
Top Bottom